Hello!!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarenth

Reaction score
Hello Peeps

After recently producing questionable beer from Wilko beer kits, I found myself asking what I have I done wrong and why does my beer taste so naff!? Thanks to this forum I discovered the error of my ways.

Thanks peeps

Looking forward to contributing and hopefully with help will produce a decent extract porter

Well it could be a number of things causing this, I think what you need to do is explain your entire process from what water you use what tempreture you ferment at and what sanitiser/ steralising process you use.. how long you ferment for ect ect..

I was following the instructions provided with the beer kit which after coming on here seemed to be missing tons of crucial info.
I have yet to look at the my water chemistry, I live in north London and I have been told that darker beers are more suited for that water profile which is why I aim to brew a darker beer next. Is this right?

Welcome to the forum.

If your making kits, YOUR water wont have any bearing on the final product other than you need to ideally remove the chlorine. When a beer is made the mash PH has a bearing but when a kit is made the mash is already done for you by the manufacturer so you have no influence on it or your water has no bearing.

If you want to make your kits better the best way is to look at hops (adding hop tea or dry hopping) or grains (steeping some grains and adding the steeping) and possibly using liquid yeast if you want to push the boat out

Edit: just realised your extract brewing but the first paragraph is still true for extract brewers as well as kit brewersas a manufactuer has already premade your extract

I was following the instructions provided with the beer kit which after coming on here seemed to be missing tons of crucial info.
I have yet to look at the my water chemistry, I live in north London and I have been told that darker beers are more suited for that water profile which is why I aim to brew a darker beer next. Is this right?

If you were making all grain beer your London water (like mine) would be great for dark beers

The angle I was coming at is "my beer isn't very good" could be caused by a number of things as long as you're tap water ins't pond water which needs boiling it should be okay..

Kits alone will always have limited success imo. But if it isn't right or clearly has off flavours then looking at particular processes like I said is a good way to point out what could be a root cause, this could be temp, conditioning time not rinsging a steraliser even old kits.

in what way does it taste bad..?

If your making kits, YOUR water wont have any bearing on the final product other than you need to ideally remove the chlorine. When a beer is made the mash PH has a bearing but when a kit is made the mash is already done for you by the manufacturer so you have no influence on it or your water has no bearing.

If you want to make your kits better the best way is to look at hops (adding hop tea or dry hopping) or grains (steeping some grains and adding the steeping) and possibly using liquid yeast if you want to push the boat out

Cheers for clearing that up. I feel like I'm going to do quite a few more extract brews until I contemplate an all grain setup.
As for for the hop tea, that sounds great.

The angle I was coming at is "my beer isn't very good" could be caused by a number of things as long as you're tap water ins't pond water which needs boiling it should be okay..

Kits alone will always have limited success imo. But if it isn't right or clearly has off flavours then looking at particular processes like I said is a good way to point out what could be a root cause, this could be temp, conditioning time not rinsging a steraliser even old kits.

in what way does it taste bad..?

It tasted very sweet. Boozey and sweet. Tasted a bit like a sweet cider.

http://www.wilko.com/cider+beer-brewing/wilko-hoppy-copper-bitter/invt/0318382

Like I say We need more info then,, what did you add to it? 1 kg of sugar or brew enhancer?? starting and finishing gravity?? temps.. all these bits of information help.. it could be taht the kit is just a bit young yet.. or just not a very good kit.. I never did many kits and no Wilko ones anyway.

Latest posts

Back