Hello !!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to the forum John. :thumba:

What are you planning to make, have you any kit?

(Other than a kettle) :laugh8:
Ive got a Youngs wine kit I bought 8 years ago its just a small one so going to have a go with that . If its all out of date hopefully it'll taste better not kill me !! and yes hopefully better than tea. I hope its ok to drink and i will get some better equipment but first off just a try :)

The yeast will need to be changed, If this is a 6 bottle kit i wouldn't bother changing the yeast this time start with a fresh kit as its not worth risking the old kit turning out bad and putting you off.

The yeast will need to be changed, If this is a 6 bottle kit i wouldn't bother changing the yeast this time start with a fresh kit as its not worth risking the old kit turning out bad and putting you off.
Thank I'll do just that :)

I have made the WineBuddy kits many times and they are decent kits they are also at the cheaper end of the price scale which is a bonus.

Hello John,

If you haven’t already seen it Brew 2 Bottle have decent discounts on some wine kits at the moment if you want to do 30 bottles.

https://brew2bottle.co.uk/collections/clearance

They are discontinued ones from the Range who have changed their packaging. Chippy Tea has made them quite often. I’ve bought the red but not had chance to make it yet.

Back to basics a bit ... if you make "a mean cup of tea" I for one, as an avid tea-drinker, am interested to know just how you do it, and with what. I suspect a few others on this forum would also like to know - maybe a subject for a different thread?
I've been trying every variety of loose (fermented) tea I can find in the supermarkets since I found that teabags don't rot down in my compost heap (yep, the damned things are made of plastic, not tissue paper), and the Rodj consumer test has so far come up with Yorkshire as being the best of the common bulk loose teas.
Chinese tea is different - SWMBO is something of an expert, and I'm steadily learning to discriminate. Sadly, niceness and high price go hand-in-hand. ("High price" - don't ask: you wouldn't believe the answer.)

Lol Rodj , I may be a bit easily pleased but good water helps always love a cuppa when in Scotland !! I use bags. Just off of boiling water in the cup first , Then the bag ( even a supermarket homebrand ) half a dozen winds with the spoon walk to fridge get the milk , walk back 2 or three splashes of the white stuff , half a dozen winds , squeeze the bag before taking it out and you have a beautiful cuppa. I hope my future wines are as good :)

Like beer, everyone will have their own method of making tea and will have different preferences to how the tea should taste. Personally I hate it if someone puts the milk in my cup before taking the tea bag out. I always let my tea mash for at least 3 minutes before giving the bag a squeeze and then adding milk. Someone I work with doesn’t like it if the bag is in for more than 30 seconds. Someone else sometimes doesn’t even bother with the tea bag and just adds a splash of milk to the water! Each to their own but that is just weird!

Interesting. I agree about the water mattering.
Lots of years ago I heard that some chemistry research had found that it also matters whether you put the milk in first or last. The conventional explanation for putting it in first is so you won't crack your expensive china cups with hot tea. That, I think, is so much cow paté, especially for uncouth peasants like me who use mugs. The chemistry research found that the reaction products, and hence the taste, differ. If you put milk in first then the tea, the reaction is taking place in a cold medium; t'other way 'bout and it's taking place in a hot medium, result: different reactions and different reaction products.
I now prefer loose tea to teabags, but it's such a nuisance having to pour through a strainer to remove the leaves. When I was a nipper in the days before teabags they were building houses near where I lived (outskirts of an industrial Lancs town) and one big beefy Irish builder used to gather the tea-leaves from the metal jug they brewed up in, mix them with sugar and eat the resultant mash.

Latest posts

Back