Hello

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krungthep56

Reaction score
Thanks for allowing me in - returning to home brewing after an absence of 40+ years and interested to see if it is now more drinkable than the slightly 'off' (ie not too pleasant) beer that I brewed while in a shared house in South London in the 80's.
Can't wait to get started. and I am already in at the deep end with a neglected and long-forgotten kit from the back of the garage with an expiry date of 2010 😮
Cheers!!

Haha - I hope so, it was a Young's lager and there was some good activity from the yeast but after at least 10 years in the garage let's just say it is an 'interesting' hue and a chestnut shade of brown.
I'll let you know how it goes and am fully prepared to bottle it and then chuck it if it's grim - nothing ventured!

Hi Krungthep56.
I also started with a Boots beer kit in 1981. It turned out drinkable, but only barely, mind. Had bottles and a small hand held capper which you had to hit with a hammer to get the caps on! A messy business but things certainly have come along since then. I only came back to brewing about three weeks ago, after a 39 year absence! Welcome to the forum.

Hi Barley
Hi Krungthep56.
I also started with a Boots beer kit in 1981. It turned out drinkable, but only barely, mind. Had bottles and a small hand held capper which you had to hit with a hammer to get the caps on! A messy business but things certainly have come along since then. I only came back to brewing about three weeks ago, after a 39 year absence! Welcome to the forum.
Hi Barley,
Haha - I remember the hammer type crown capper but we used red plastic pop tops that were great, but had a habit of going pop when there was too much pressure and on one memorable midsummer evening when one of my housemates had overprimed the bottles, they all decided to go bang in the fridge and the only way to approach them was from behind the safety of a dustbin lid - in the days when they existed!

To be fair it was horrible stuff to - but we figured out it was cheap and did the job 🤣🤣

Welcome indeed. 40 years ago, my beer wasn't the best either, but I still missed it when I was in the pub and came home early for another pint.

Haha
Welcome indeed. 40 years ago, my beer wasn't the best either, but I still missed it when I was in the pub and came home early for another pint.
- I stayed out late to avoid it and returned home hoping the boys were back earlier and drunk it all - never mind, my father taught me to 'set your expectations low and you will never be disappointed' which is how I spent most of my life just above gutter level 😉

Back