Hello

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nidger

Regular.
Reaction score
Newbie from North Wales here.
Dabbled with kits over the years.
Haven't brewed anything for a good six years.
I'm judging that, having found two wilko kits when I got my brew gear out recently and their use by dates of 2015 lol.
They are a lager and elderflower wine. I will still try them with new yeast so will be grateful for advice on that.

I decided to take it up again partly due to this virus and also a recent acquired taste for fruity cider, particularly strawberry and lime :)
I've purchased a kit called MYO to make 40 x 500ml bottles and currently collecting bottles by sampling lidl bought cider :D

Hopefully i will keep going this time and get a good production and storage facility in place :D

Looking forward to asking questions and getting advice.
Thanks.👍

Thanks chippy, I've just been reading about the problems with pressure barrels, so there's one thing that I will need to check before I use it again. 👍

Your avatar has made me hungry now so I'm off for a bite to eat :)
Cheers.

Welcome Nidger, check out the threads on turbo cider, quite a few fruity variants. Ive got 5ltrs clearing now, made with apple juice and tesco forest fruit juice, looks great but Ive not tasted it properly yet.athumb..

Welcome Nidger, check out the threads on turbo cider, quite a few fruity variants. Ive got 5ltrs clearing now, made with apple juice and tesco forest fruit juice, looks great but Ive not tasted it properly yet.athumb..

Thanks, I'm waiting for a couple of seals for my fermenting bin tap to arrive and get this cider kit on the go this week hopefully.
I have had a nose at some turbo cider threads before I signed up and might give it a go .

Well i got furloughed again and decided to use the time to go away in my caravan :D
This has enabled me to save plenty of brown 500ml beer bottles, 330ml clear corona bottles and plenty Wine bottles :D .

I've also collected a few square bourbon bottles, although probably no good for lager/cider. LoL
But may come in handy and i do like them :)

A question please,
I would like one of those press on bottle washer/sterilisers.
Any recommendations ?

I've bought some new yeast for the out of date wine and lager kits I have,

Another fermenting bin for racking is something else on my list.
I never used to do this,
Two things I've learned since joining.
Racking and not needing to go overboard with sterilising .

Hello Nidger, welcome to the forum. I got a present from Santa one time, a bottle drainer and a large bottle washer thing which said on the box was made by Ferrari I think, doubt its the same Co as the Car but works very well. Usually see them together on most HBS websites. Cheers

Hello Nidger, welcome to the forum. I got a present from Santa one time, a bottle drainer and a large bottle washer thing which said on the box was made by Ferrari I think, doubt its the same Co as the Car but works very well. Usually see them together on most HBS websites. Cheers

Thanks OP .
I'm still away at present and still collecting more bits.
Especially empty bottles hence the late night post hic :D

I'll have a look, cheers.

Welcome to the forum.

I noticed on your original post you said you like a fruity cider. My go to is a really easy raspberry cider made with Lowicz syrup. If you'd like the recipe let me know.

Welcome to the forum.

I noticed on your original post you said you like a fruity cider. My go to is a really easy raspberry cider made with Lowicz syrup. If you'd like the recipe let me know.

Yes that would be great thanks. 👍
I haven't gotten round to doing any yet due to other things, hence late reply.
But yesterday after clearing some of a shed I found my fermenting bin 🙂
that will save me some money 💰
more bottles saved lol and i bought one of those bottle washer/steriliser things.

cant wait to get started.

My go to is a really easy raspberry cider made with Lowicz syrup. If you'd like the recipe let me know.
Hi LED_ZEP, I've got half a dozen bottles of łowicz hanging around at the back of my drinks cupboard, raspberry, strawberry and cherry. Can't remember why or when I bought them and I'd be glad to see your recipe even though you offered it to Nidger.

Hi LED_ZEP, I've got half a dozen bottles of łowicz hanging around at the back of my drinks cupboard, raspberry, strawberry and cherry. Can't remember why or when I bought them and I'd be glad to see your recipe even though you offered it to Nidger.

23L
15l cheap apple juice (Growers Harvest about 55p at Tesco)
400ml Raspberry Lawicz (I don't like it too fruity but it would stand another bottle, adjust your sugar)
2kg sugar (this would give O.G, around 1.070 9.5% - 10% I like it strong but again you can use less sugar)
Wilko wine yeast compound
Yeast nutrient
50ml Lemon juice
6 teabag tea (I just throw it all in teabags and all)
Orange peel (optional)
2-4 tsp of citric acid (again optional)
Top up with water

I let it ferment out then in to a pressure barrel and prime with another 1/2 bottle of Lowicz and add 3/4 tub of tesco sweetener (the one in the yellow tub) and that's it.

23L
15l cheap apple juice (Growers Harvest about 55p at Tesco)
400ml Raspberry Lawicz (I don't like it too fruity but it would stand another bottle, adjust your sugar)
2kg sugar (this would give O.G, around 1.070 9.5% - 10% I like it strong but again you can use less sugar)
Wilko wine yeast compound
Yeast nutrient
50ml Lemon juice
6 teabag tea (I just throw it all in teabags and all)
Orange peel (optional)
2-4 tsp of citric acid (again optional)
Top up with water

I let it ferment out then in to a pressure barrel and prime with another 1/2 bottle of Lowicz and add 3/4 tub of tesco sweetener (the one in the yellow tub) and that's it.

Thanks.
Had to google lowicz.
£1.50 tesco for 400ml.
I take it you mean 1 whole orange peel ?

Why do you use 3/4 sweetener and not sugar ?

I'll have to give it a go cheers.

They have Lowicz on offer for £1 every now and then,
I use dried orange peel but yes about one orange worth but it's just personal taste, you don't have to use any.
The sweetener is so it doesn't ferment and adds a little sweetness to the end product (the sugar in the half bottle gives the cider it's fizz)

They have Lowicz on offer for £1 every now and then,
I use dried orange peel but yes about one orange worth but it's just personal taste, you don't have to use any.
The sweetener is so it doesn't ferment and adds a little sweetness to the end product (the sugar in the half bottle gives the cider it's fizz)

Hi Led.
I've bought some more bits.
5ltr apple juice from aldi while i was there. 59p so 20p more for 5ltr than tesco lol.
Also their sweetener.
I figured on doing a trial cider in a demijohn first after looking at your recipe.
I also bought a new brush, pectolose, campden tablets, yeast, citric acid etc.
I still need yeast nutrient and have struggled to find strawberry lowiz.
None in lidl, aldi or tesco so i will try a local polish shop.

I also bought a lime juice for 29p from lidl, like the lemon juice in a plastic fruit shaped container.
Wondering if this will do as a citric acid and lime flavour to make strawberry and lime cider ?

I have a kit for strawberry and lime but will also try your recipe when i finally get going.

Ps.

I'm off to a local Wilko tomorrow
(I'm away in caravan)
To get more kit/supplies.

All sounds good.

Don't worry about the exact ingredients because a lot of it is personal taste. You can adjust after making the first one if you want more/less citrus or sweetness.
You'll find the raspberry Lowicz at the Polish shop and they'll probably have a few different flavours to try also.

All sounds good.

Don't worry about the exact ingredients because a lot of it is personal taste. You can adjust after making the first one if you want more/less citrus or sweetness.
You'll find the raspberry Lowicz at the Polish shop and they'll probably have a few different flavours to try also.

Thanks, got to wilko today and bought some more stuff.
Two wine yeasts. A trial jar, couple of yeast nutrient.
3ltr and 1ltr measuring jugs.among other bits.
Yes I'm going to trial different turbo cider recipes but will give yours a go virtually to the letter.

I'm after some no rinse sanitiser now lol.

Back