Hello

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarconiBrew

Reaction score
Hello, new here and new to brewing.

Ideally at this stage I'm looking for a recommendation into what I need to get started in brewing ale.

I have a brewing bucket and a barrel and that's it at the moment, so I'll need tips on what else I need.

What I'd like to brew? Well I'd usually drink Ipa, hobgoblin and speckled hen, so one of those would be nice if I could. I have considered the real ale kit from wilkos, one of the Tom Caxton kits.

Thanks.

i'd recommend the evil dog double IPA kit from bulldog brews. i paid £27 but it could maybe be found more cheaply. comes with everything you need apart from a little priming sugar. liked it so much i bought a second.
those with more experience will have a raft of suggestions i'm sure.
welcome.

Welcome along, IMO you can't go wrong with the Mangrove Jacks Craft Series, Juicy session IPA is my favourite and also their Simcoe IPA is really good. You will need to buy extra DME(dry malt extract) if you want more body/mouthfeel but is good to go with table sugar if on a budget.

Thanks so far. So what about kit, I have a brewing bucket and a barrel, what else should I have?

Hi there and welcome to the group!
I think that you're asking a very good question. There is more than one answer, depending on how much money you want to spend :-) ... if necessary you can "get by" with a really small inventory of kit, but there are a lot of not-essential-but-flipping-useful bits and bobs it's probably worth having.

I'm not an expert on brewing from kits, but I'd say you will need a thermometer (immersion type) and a hydrometer and test jar. It's also very useful to have a few bits of tubing for siphoning and moving liquids around - almost any type will do, but ideally silicone or PVC hose of about 1/2" diameter.

Thanks so far. Being a total newbie to it I'll need all the info I can get. I don't intend on bottling, I intend on filling the barrel and then using those small cylinders to charge the barrel up.

This may sound like a ridiculous question, but do you only mix in the bucket? Or do you also let it sit its weeks brewing in the bucket and transfer to the barrel when ready?

Let it ferment in the bucket for 2 weeks and then check to see if it's ready with your hydrometer, making sure that you have 2 days at the same reading, then transfer it to the barrel. I would advise that you check the barrel with water to test for leaks as they're prone to leaks.

Make sure that you get a cleaner and sanitiser for your equipment, lots of options available, unscented oxi powder is a good start as a cleaner, others use diluted bleach with vinegar, many homebrewers use chemsan as a 'no rinse' sanitiser, you can use milton tablets, or Wilkos sell a combined cleaner / sanitiser, which is cheap, but doesn't go far.

As for a good starter kit, Woodfordes Wherry is worth a try, its not the cheapest, becasue it has two cans of extract, rather than one which you supplement with sugar, but is reliable for the beginner and produces a decent beer.

How do you wash your bucket and barrel? The usual way with a dish pad and washing up liquid and then sterilize?

How do you wash your bucket and barrel? The usual way with a dish pad and washing up liquid and then sterilize?
Don't use wahing up liquid, it can leave aromas that will taint your beer. Use a hosepipe, shower head or a little hot water and a soft scourer first to remove the worst of the visible dirt. Then fill with hot water and add your cleaner ( I use Oxi powder - the laundry additive, such as this https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-oxi-plus-stain-remover-1kg/p/0333369 ) and leave for 10 minutes, rinse and then spray with sanitiser.

I see, I'll avoid washing up liquid then, thanks.

I bought the Wilko barrel, and some CO2 cartridges from there, do I need one of those applicators? Or will I be able to pressurise the barrel by hand? How much pressure do I need? How many cartridges do I need to put in?

Latest posts

Back