Help! Alcotec vodka kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shreddybrek

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I’ve been brewing beer for a while and have recently done a couple of batches of cider but decided to be abit more adventurous and picked up an Alcotec vodka kit for 25 litres of 21%. I’ve read on quite a few places that fermentation can be quite volatile so decided to cut my batch short to 21 litres and adjusted my brewing sugar to suite.

Guide says:
23 litres= 7.8kg
20 litres= 6.8kg
But if your room temperature is on the higher side to use 0.5kg less so I’ve added 6.8kg to my 21 litres just in case. I’ve also left the lid on loosely and not entirely sealed and followed the instructions on temperature etc to the letter.

Now my query comes from 1. Has anyone tried this before and 2. If so how do I go about my abv calculation? Would it just be the same as beer and cider using my hydrometer? I’ve got a specific spirit one but I’ve read I don’t need to use that unless it’s distilled etc. I’m now worried tho because my OG has come out at 1202 and reading the instructions when fermentation is over it should hit 978-990 now I don’t know if it’s my calculations but that would indicate an abv of about 29% which is surely wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I’m worried on two fronts firstly I’ve made a massive disaster of this and two it’s going to explode everywhere or something!

Thanks

Yes you are not going to get 29% this side of the mason-dixon line.!!

Truth is these high alcohol fermentations are very, very tempermental

Using a hydometer is a skill well worth learning.

Explosions in homebrew are due to CO2 gas and not alcohol so i dont think you have any concerns there.

And the sugar is very very important it MUST be glucose NOT sucrose to hit top ABV.

Latest posts

Back