Help buying new guitar

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know sod all about guitars too...I bought my son one for Christmas who is an enthusiastic learner on recommendation from the man in our local music shop. He had a few used ones there...

Have you looked on eBay? I've got a lot of my musical equipment for pretty good price.

I hear good things about PRS, can't remember if I've ever played one though. IMHO, I've never played an Ibanez and thought "this feels and sounds nice" and I think for the £400 price range getting a Squire would be better. Jackson are nice if you only want to play metal, but 3 years from now you may want to play different styles and the guitar might hold you back, something to consider.

ESP - if it's good enough for Hetfield then it's probably good enough for us chumps. A friend of mine had a Schecter and he loved it. I quite liked it too but it wasn't my favourite.

I'm a huge fan of Fender and if I'm looking for a new guitar or bass will look in their catalogue to see if they have something I'm after. Whilst £400 won't get you a shiny new guitar, it might stretch to get a Mexican made instrument on eBay, and their Jaguar and Jazzmaster is awesome for metal, grunge, stoner etc. A fair number of heavy bands also use telecasters because of the huge punch they deliver when distorted (along with ear ringing feedback), I know the RATM guitarist likes to use them, as does the Whores guitarist.

for £400 you could get a Squire version of the above instruments. Back in the day, Squire weren't good and they really were budget guitars. Past 10 years or so the quality has really gone up and they make instruments tour worthy with some large bands endorsing them.

This is just a first thoughts post, will probably post back after looking around a bit. I haven't looked into instrument manufacturers in a while.

Also what amp do you have and do you have any pedals?

I just did a quick search on GAK to see what <= £400 can get and there's some good stuff. What stood out for me was Gretsch g2622 at £390. I love that brand as their guitars have a big sound and do get used for metal: Josh Homme used his Gretsch on Songs for the Deaf. There was a lot of Epiphone as well which look alright but not played one in ~15 years.

Back in the day, Squire weren't good and they really were budget guitars. Past 10 years or so the quality has really gone up and they make instruments tour worthy with some large bands endorsing them.

How far back are you thinking? Back in 83/84 Squires were made in Japan and were actually better made than the USA Fenders of the time, which were suffering a dip in quality. Inside one of the early 80s Iron Maiden albums Dave Murray is photographed playing a Squire. Going for a premium on the secondhand market now, wish I'd bought one at the time but I went for an Ibanez instead.

How far back are you thinking? Back in 83/84 Squires were made in Japan and were actually better made than the USA Fenders of the time, which were suffering a dip in quality. Inside one of the early 80s Iron Maiden albums Dave Murray is photographed playing a Squire. Going for a premium on the secondhand market now, wish I'd bought one at the time but I went for an Ibanez instead.
I wasn't alive in the early 80s, so not that far back :laugh8:. Around that time Squire bought a lot of Fender's old manufacturing kit which probably accounts for the improved quality. I started playing guitar around 2001/2002 and some friends also picked up the guitar a little later. We all had budget makes but Squires were the worst. My first guitar was an Aslin Dane, which I still have, and after 17 or so years time has been good to it. I'm more of a bass player though and have a Fender jazz, which I love.

I did a music degree 2007-2010 and remember being really pleasantly surprised by those who played Squires. At this point they were good guitars again.

Our local shop (!) Has a brand new Ibinez Jetking JTK 30 RRP £335 for £265...all double Dutch to me...but is that a good deal?

It sounds nice....but I bet some of you lot could brew some great beer on my humble set up!
clapa:laugh8:
Saying that it perked eldest sons ears up....

I live in NI so local choice is a bit more limited, but I'm heading into Belfast tomorrow where there are a few shops so I'll have a look around. Thing is, I don't really know what I want so was just looking for a few recommendations.
I have an Air Guitar I'll sell you for the price of a pint.

OK so I've had a look in the first guitar shop, but had to stop for some refreshment before heading to the next one...

8lOC3C3

Well it wasn't terribly productive, apart from that blueberry and juniper sour which was rather delicious.
There were some lovely guitars, but most if them were either really expensive or else really cheap beginners guitars with not much in between.
There was a Tremonti signature PRS SE which was good but out of my budget. I actually quite liked the Squire Tele, which was under £200 aunsure....

Back