Help buying new guitar

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well it wasn't terribly productive, apart from that blueberry and juniper sour which was rather delicious.
There were some lovely guitars, but most if them were either really expensive or else really cheap beginners guitars with not much in between.
There was a Tremonti signature PRS SE which was good but out of my budget. I actually quite liked the Squire Tele, which was under £200 aunsure....
That beer looks and sounds lovely, sorry to hear your guitar playing wasn't as fruitful. Do you come to Britain much?

what happened with your guitar purchase in the end?

I live in NI so local choice is a bit more limited, but I'm heading into Belfast tomorrow where there are a few shops so I'll have a look around. Thing is, I don't really know what I want so was just looking for a few recommendations.

Sounds to me that you know what you want aesthetically but just need to try before you buy, if you are an above average player then you will know a few tunes that you can play off by heart, most places have a sound proofed room where you can test with no embarrassment etc and no pressurised sales people breathing down your neck. Good luck

Nothing as yet, there was a hint from the Mrs that she might get it for our next anniversary in August which would be nice acheers.

I'm still really interested in both the ESP Ltd 256:
RdIZNM4.png

And the Schecter Omen 6:
HGLo1Pq.png

Both are around the same price and have decent online reviews, but not having played either of them myself it's hard to tell.

As a belated update to this, I've just ordered the Schecter Omen 6 (the bottom pic in the post above). Thomann had it for £309 which seemed like a bargain to me. It seems to have gotten good reviews, particularly for such a low price.

Never buy a guitar without trying it, I am not a top player but I tried loads, finished up with a Yamaha acoustic and a squire fender copy which for the money is very good and has a neck I can get on with, its all about the neck and action

I don't know much about Guitars but I did learn to play in my teens and progressed quite well considering I'm actually profoundly Deaf! I bought a guitar from a local music shop that had been my cousins late 1950s Fender Stratocaster for £250 as it needed re fretting. He was in quite a well known band. I never played that guitar and ended up selling it back to him for the same price.... I've only recently learnt from a very good friend whom I call a 'brother' wink... that it was probably worth in it's thousands of ££'s ashock1asad1

Nice one Strange-Steve I hope you get on with it, I have an Epiphone Les Paul Classic, Tokai Strat copy and a Tanglewood roundback semi acoustic.

Nice one, wish you all the best with it.
Thanks. I really liked the ESP, but for the style I play the Schecter was more suited I think. Maybe in a few years I'll save a bit of cash and get on of my dream guitars, maybe a Music Man Majesty...
oi7vYd3.png

That's interesting, there seems to be an OLP John Petrucci like the Majesty above, but I can't actually find anywhere selling it.

I love Music Man basses, such thick sounds. Never played a guitar though. I would imagine there is a difference between OLP and MM, kind of like Squire and Fender. @hop-a-long, how is the bass? There used to be a ~£600 version of MM basses (half the price) which were so well built. MM had to stop making them as they were cannibalising their own business.

I own a MusicMan Axis, absolutely superb guitar. I've not compared it to an OLP but I can tell you it's better made than my Gibson Les Paul. Always seem to go back to the LP tho.

Despite the horrendous prices of MM stuff, there are good deals to be had. I played an Axis in GuitarGuitar in Brum a few years back and they were £1500, by the time I'd made my mind up they'd gone up to £2500 new. Most seem to be advertised second-hand around £1200-1400 but I had 2 deals set up below £1000 and paid £950 for mine in 9/10 condition.

The OLP is the first bass I've bought. I still use it on a regular basis. Even though I've bought 2 other ones since. In all the years I've owned it (15+) I never had any issue with it. Only recently I encouterd some problems with the jack that were an easy fix. The only thing I changed was putting on the fattest strings I could find for a heavier sound.

Latest posts

Back