Help Deciding AG Brew Equip Please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markp

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi....I'd be grateful of some help and suggestions.

I am going to purchase equipment to allow me to do some AG brewing (hurrah :clap: )
I am quite limited with space; so cannot have anything 'permanent' set up.....I need a brew day that can be dismantled and stored in the loft or shed between use.
I am literally tying myself in knots trying to decide what to do....reading web and books.
I don't fancy using pumps of any sort.....I'd prefer to do it all under gravity in my kitchen....but I'm listening I hasten to add.
My DIY skills are limited (DIY = destroy it yourself), so I don't really fancy a home made boiler etc......but I do have a bit of spare cash and I'm prepared to invest this in stuff that will do the job well and will last.

So what could people recommend or suggest?
Can I have some arrangement where my boiler can supply sparge water first?
Is there equipment that can double up as a boiler and a mash tun......is this satisfactory?

All input appreciated, thanks :)

I've considered that method dave.....and it is still a possibilty. Once the mash is done, do you just sparge though the bag or are does that process eliminate the need to sparge?? i.e. just remove grain bag after mash and add water to make up the wort volume.

I was thinking along slightly more elaborate lines.
Maybe a cool-box conversion mash tun along with something that would act as both a HLT and a boiler.
I can't seem to figure out if a Burco would do.....from what I read, some of these do not produce a rolling boil and the thermo needs to be by-passed?? (which is beyond me, I think).

Thanks.

Many people (myself included) use THIS. If you have the DIY know how and tools then you can build it for much, much less. I haven't so just bought that lot with the double element boiler and about 30 brews in it's still performing great. The weak point of the system is the mash tun which you can only really do 5g brewlengths with if you're batch sparging (as I do) whereas the rest of the kit will do a 10g brew no problem. There are ways around that however if you did want a 10g brew (mash in twice or fly sparge) so don't let it put you off if you want a quick all in one solution.

It all comes down to what you are prepared to spend and how much DIY knowledge and tools you have and whether you would rather go the lazy route and spend a fair amount on equipment or whether you're prepared to go the route of getting everything you need bit by bit and fabricating all of the bits you need.

I have the same set up as Parva...I bought them direct from H & G and have done several brews ..producing excellent Beers!

I am having to change my Brewery to Gas...Personal Reasons..Don't ASK :nono: So have them for sale!
I am sending you a pm with my equipment...to give you first refusal OK :thumb:

Back