Help. How hot can I put my yeast in?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beardy

Reaction score
First brew is in the bin, minus the yeast. It's currently at 30 deg C How cool do I NEED it to be before I pitch (see tha, I'm using a brewing term ;) ) my yeast? Or how long will it take to get down to 24 degrees?
I need to go to bed :(

I'd wait till the temp is down to 22deg. Some will say higher.
You can speed the cooling by; putting fv in the bath with some cold water, or wiping the sides of the fv with water as the evaporation takes away a lot of heat. However this will still take some time to drop. Could take 2 hours :?

If you must go to bed, fit the lid on the fv and pitch yeast in the morning?

If it were me I'd rather not wait till the morning to pitch, so I'd try to take it down a few deg then pitch yeast and hope for the best.

By the book, the nearer you get to the temperature you intend to ferment at the better and cleaner the ferment, how much you would notice the difference if you chuck it in a bit hotter I dont know.
I find a small fan blowing accross the FV as well as wetting the sides helps the temperature drop a bit quicker but it can take a long time to shed those last few degrees and reach equilibrium.

I've got the answer :thumb:

Quickly drink 4 pints of beer. :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:
:whistle:
Go to bed :D happy.

Wake up needing loo :party:
Pitch yeast while you are up. :D
:rofl:

It's been almost an hour, what temp are you down to?

I pitched at 28c, which according to most of you was too hot :( I had an early start this am (on train to London as I type, isn't technology a wonderful thing :) )

It still seems to be alive this morning, so follow up questions if I may.
Have I screwed it completely?
What are the dangers of a hot pitch?
Can I recover it? ( pitch again St a cooler temp?)
Should I just bite the bullet and scrap this brew and start again ?

Thanks in advance for your continued support :D

If somethings happenening then don't bin it as that shows it's fine.
I don't have a chilller yet so I ferment in my spare room, radiator off door shut and windows open. Oh and I leave the wort to chill in a sealed fv overnight before pitching in the morning.
I've done two AG this way and as yet have not had a problem :thumb:

Did you pitch dry? The dried yeasts I've used (S04, S05, Nottingham, Windsor) recommend pitching into clean water at 24-30 or 30-35 degrees so I'm guessing the temperature won't kill the yeast. If there is a problem it is more likely to be some off flavours but I should imagine how much that is an issue would depend on how fast the temp drops and how fast the yeast gets going. I'd certainly keep it and see how it turns out, it'll probably be fine.

I usually pitch slightly warm (24-26) My theory is that the extra warmth will help the yeast get going as i pitch dry. The fermentor goes striaght into the fridge set at 19c so it comes down quickly any way.

quote from jhohn palmer:

High temperatures can also lead to excessive levels of diacetyl. A common mistake that homebrewers make is pitching the yeast when the wort has not been chilled enough, and is still relatively warm. If the wort is, e.g. 90¡F, when the yeast is pitched and slowly cools to room temperature during primary fermentation, more diacetyl will be produced in the early stages than the yeast can reabsorb during the secondary stage. Furthermore, primary fermentation is an exothermic process. The internal temperature of the fermentor can be as much as 10F above ambient conditions, just due to yeast activity. This is one good reason to keep the fermentor in the proper temperature range; so that with a normal vigorous fermentation, the beer turns out as intended, even if it was warmer than the surroundings

diacetyl gives a buttery sweet taste. I actually quite like a little in a brew. It is not an unpleasent flavour and is desired in some beers. A nice long ferment should "mop up " a lot of this tho.

I'm sure it will make beer and i'm sure it will drink fine.
If your trying to make the beer consistantly then Pitching temp like fermentation temp is a taste effecting factor. Who knows pitching at 28 might make a beer you love, and you've recorded the temp so next time you could make it again.
I've had a similar thing with my latest batch I pitched at 26 instead of 24 as I've just discovered my Digital thermometer is out be two degrees.

Latest posts

Back