Help - Inspiration needed

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J_P

Regular.
Reaction score
How Do All

I have volunteered to donate a brew to the town beer festival on behalf of our brewing group, Rob has the dark beer covered, Big John is doing a mid brown ale so it looks like I've been left with the job of brewing a pale ale.

I seem to be totally out of inspiration, does anyone have any suggestions?

I do hope that I didn't set the bar too high last time

Cheers

John

When is it JP? How many weeks away?

I really enjoyed the all First Gold brew that i've just finished off, I'll brew it again.

Would you consider a single hop brew?

Wez said:
When is it JP? How many weeks away?

I really enjoyed the all First Gold brew that i've just finished off, I'll brew it again.

Would you consider a single hop brew?

It's mid September and I'm away for a week at the end of August.

The singe hop brew sounds good but the brew will have to be **** hot as there will be nothing to hide any flaws in technique behind.

This is what I'm thinking so far:-
Pale Malt and wheat only brew
3.5 - 4.5 ABV
Brewery Yeast (possibly Hopback, Brakspear or Fullers)
Good and bitter with a flowery hop aroma

I haven't decided if I'll be serving it from a polypin or Corni as yet. A polypin is bigger but will not hold the carbonation needed in a pale ale (there is no method of chilling the brew). A corni will hold the carbonation better but is smaller and takes longer than a pin to clear.

Decisions decisions

How about hopback yeast, and a classic combo, challenger to bitter and goldings for flavour/aroma?

Or, something clean and cirtus like northdown to bitter and cascade and bobek for flavour/aroma?

Very popular is the pale malt only with plenty of new world aroma hops, Cascade/Amarillo etc. To be honest i'm completely sick of trying these at beer festivals. NZ Hallertau is a nice hop i've been experimenting with, First Gold is one i'm growing to really like too.

Well folks, I've chickened out and gone with my Lucky7, Fuggles, Goldings and a splash of bobek for aroma. It's a lovely pint.

I've decided to serve it from the corni as it has chance to go flat in the polypin as there is no refrigeration and tired beer is the pits. I'm going to rack it into the corni bright which means I'll chill the beer right down in the fridge after fining for a couple of days beforehand.

I'll keep it under a squirt or two of CO2 until it's needed it should have matured well by mid September.

Vossy1 said:
Hope it turns out to be a good'un J_P :cool:

Me too Vossy! It smelled amazing coming out of the boiler, those bobek are brilliant, it's a good job I made a double batch otherwise it'd be gutting to give it all away!

I fermented it with Hopback yeast in the end

JP, i'd have to say your 'tip' on the Bobeks were spot on, I bottled my Harvest Gold yesterday Cascade/Bobek and they work really well together, the bobeks seemed to mellow out the full-on citrus from the cascades. I'm looking forward to that one, also, I have a FV of the same batch to keg so a side by side - bottle v keg will be on the cards. Oh, and I'm back in the running for posting out beer again :grin:

Excellent news, that reminds me I've promised a bottle of Lucky7 to Paul at the real ale blog, I'll have to wind my neck in I'm getting quite evangelical about this brewing lark. I don't want to end up like John Cleese in those anti smoking adverts from the 80's :lol:

Back