Help me choose a pressure fermenter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When pressure brewing 40 psi is not needed.
I don't know if you have any idea how equipment is tested and given a rating, but it is taken to double the pressure or tension it may be used at. Hence the reason that to do a test on the said vessel it isn't tested at the pressure it will be used at but double that pressure.

I have a Fermentasaurus Snub Nose, it's been an excellent addition to my brewing setup. It's rarely empty these days! Very reliable, no problems with leaks or other faults.
Completely agree, why look any further, I have six and wouldn't use anything else, easy to convert to a usable fermenter by fitting the tap, while still being able to transfer oxygen free, (well as free as can be) for as many years as one would want.

Doubt it will just die after 2 years. Didn't realise they had a shelve life, was considering buying one but doubt I will now.
The 'shelf life' isn't necessarily the end of it's useful life as a pressure fermenter, only the recommendation to have it retested at rated pressure AIUI. I think it's recommended not to use it beyond two years without an appropriate test, but you may do so if tested.

I ordered the snub nose last night. I will probably just pressure test to 40psi after 2 years, I have 2 other conical shaped fermenters (brewbuckets) so would rather risk losing the snub nose than having another non pressure fermentor that doesn't fit in my fridge.

I plan to use the snub nose mostly with kviek at room temperature, pressure should avoid issues of fluctuating temps.

I think we are all getting hung up on this pressure testing. Pressurised vessels should ALL be regularly tested and some, such as gas bottles, diving bottles, fire extinguishers, carry a legal obligation to do so but this legal obligation is not extended to cover such a small market as UK home brewing fermenters, obviously. However, the manufacturers may need to set a test interval due to legislation in some countries and even if they don't it seems a sensible inclusion in the documentation.

All the aforementioned pressurised vessels last for years and many retests and I am sure with careful use our fermentors will as well. However, if the spunding valve and the relief valve fail no amount of testing will save your vessel if there is 35 litres of fresh wort in it.

Should you carry out regular tests? Probably.

Will I be testing mine? As I brew at 12 psi, in a fermenting fridge which is checked regularly it doesn't worry me greatly. Testing to 40 psi does worry me and I would give great thought to how I could do this safely.

You can replace the vessel, doesn't have to be the whole box and dice. It isn't the pressure that is the niggle in the wool pile, it's the UV degradation which would do the most damage.
After 2 years just change vessel they are cheap enough.

those who have the allrounder did you go for the plastic or SS fittings
I have used both on my two all rounders and now only use the plastic caps as they seem to seal more effectively and continually than the SS ones.

Latest posts

Back