Help! my beer won't stop fermenting.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hill1649

Reaction score
Hi,

I did my first post a month or so ago where I talked about making a beer flavoured with Elderflower which I have now done, the only problem is that I can't stop it from fermenting and it is still very cloudy. Does anyone have any advice for me? Actually, this is the 2nd beer that I've had this problem with although that was a straightforward, if fairly strong bitter that I made for a friends party. They sorted the cloudiness problem by racking (again) and adding finings. I'd like to avoid adding finings if I can, but don't want my barrel to explode!

If it's any help here's the recipe I used:

5000g Pale Malt
20g each Fuggles, Challenger, Goldings Hops (2 hours)
20g Godings hops, 70g Elderflowers, 1 tsp Irish Moss (15 mins)
Safeale S04 yeast

OG 1062
FG 1004

At 7.3% I really don't want it to get any stronger!

Thanks,

Lorna :drink:

It should stop on it's own fairly quickly now, it shouldn't really get any lower in gravity :pray:
To be on the safe side though get it as close as you can to 5°c and add finings. Then rack it to another container to remove it from the yeast.

I did wonder whether it was the temperature. Although I have the barrel in the coldest part of the house it is still somewhere between 18 & 21 degrees. I've just looked at my fridge - if I turf out all of my food it might just fit in there but I'm not sure if I love my beer enough to make that sacrifice!

Lorna :drink:

OG 1062
FG 1004

At 7.3% I really don't want it to get any stronger!

:[/quote]

At these figures it should, as sugested, finish fermenting soon, unless you have an infection which from personal experience can cause seemingly endless fermentation. if it smells ok & tastes ok dont worry it will be fine.

Latest posts

Back