Help need advice

Discussion in 'General Beer Brewing Discussion' started by Lisa Thornhill, Mar 16, 2019.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. Mar 18, 2019 #21

An Ankoù

An Ankoù

An Ankoù

Landlord.

It does sound as if you've bottled before fermentation has finished. The question is, what to do. Be aware that if there's still some way for fermentation to go, a weaker bottle might explode. Just don't hold it up to the light in front of your face. You might try putting them upright in the fridge overnight, and then lifting an edge of the cap with a bottle opener, letting out the gas and then crimping the cap shut again. Don't worry if this results in some loss of beer. nothing infectious can get in while the inside pressure is greater than the outside.
    I always bottle some of the beer in PETs so that I can see what's going on.

2. Mar 18, 2019 #22

terrym

terrym

terrym

@Lisa Thornhill
    Most kits will achieve 1.010 or thereabouts. It's usually best to leave your brew for a couple of weeks in the FV before you package to give the yeast chance to clean up and then clear from the beer. The oft quoted instruction to folks is you shouldn't bottle until you have a stable SG on at least two consecutive days.
    However if your beer stabilised at 1.020 the fermentation had stuck. There are ways of dealing with that here
    https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/...s-for-dealing-with-stuck-fermentations.74910/
    You now have a choice. Put up with the gushers. Or carefully pour the beer from the remaining bottles into an FV (assuming there are enough left to make it worthwhile), leave it for a day or two take the SG, and if its where it should be at about 1.010 then repackage and reprime

Lisa Thornhill likes this.
  3. Mar 18, 2019 #23

lancon

lancon

lancon

I would chuck it, 10 points to go down plus more for the added sugar, its asking for explosions.

Lisa Thornhill likes this.
  4. Mar 21, 2019 #24

Lisa Thornhill

Lisa Thornhill

Lisa Thornhill

It's gone I've chucked it. Will try again. Thank you all for your advice

5. Mar 21, 2019 #25

lancon

lancon

lancon

It's always a shame, but better luck next time! Any idea why the brew was still at 1.020?

6. Mar 21, 2019 #26

AlDaviz

AlDaviz

AlDaviz

I’m new to this too, I used the drops for the first couple of brews. My first lager took ages to carbonate with the drops. Since then I switched to just using sugar it’s so easy to boil some up allow to cool and add to bottling bucket.
    Good luck with your future brews.