Help need advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It does sound as if you've bottled before fermentation has finished. The question is, what to do. Be aware that if there's still some way for fermentation to go, a weaker bottle might explode. Just don't hold it up to the light in front of your face. You might try putting them upright in the fridge overnight, and then lifting an edge of the cap with a bottle opener, letting out the gas and then crimping the cap shut again. Don't worry if this results in some loss of beer. nothing infectious can get in while the inside pressure is greater than the outside.
I always bottle some of the beer in PETs so that I can see what's going on.

@Lisa Thornhill
Most kits will achieve 1.010 or thereabouts. It's usually best to leave your brew for a couple of weeks in the FV before you package to give the yeast chance to clean up and then clear from the beer. The oft quoted instruction to folks is you shouldn't bottle until you have a stable SG on at least two consecutive days.
However if your beer stabilised at 1.020 the fermentation had stuck. There are ways of dealing with that here
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/...s-for-dealing-with-stuck-fermentations.74910/
You now have a choice. Put up with the gushers. Or carefully pour the beer from the remaining bottles into an FV (assuming there are enough left to make it worthwhile), leave it for a day or two take the SG, and if its where it should be at about 1.010 then repackage and reprime

I’m new to this too, I used the drops for the first couple of brews. My first lager took ages to carbonate with the drops. Since then I switched to just using sugar it’s so easy to boil some up allow to cool and add to bottling bucket.
Good luck with your future brews.

Latest posts

Back