Help needed - converting AG mash kits for Grainfather

Discussion in 'General Recipe Discussion' started by BrewDan, Dec 14, 2019.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

Corona Virus
  1. Dec 14, 2019 #1

BrewDan

BrewDan

BrewDan

Landlord.

Hi all

Need some help please as I have a brew day tomorrow morning with a mate, I’m also just about to head out after a days work so have no time to look this up properly myself unfortunately.

Having not long ago bought a grainfather my mates bought a couple of AG mash kits from the home brew company, blonde ale @ 4.5% & Citra pale ale kit @ 4.8%

Ive just looked at the instructions and they mention if using the BIAB method or a grainfather, ignore them.

Can anyone advise how to brew these correctly on the grainfather please? I’d assume I’d have to adjust the amount of mash water and sparge water but I am literally just about to head out for the night so am not 100% on how to correctly calculate this.

Thanks for any help!

Cheers!!

2. Dec 14, 2019 #2

Banbeer

Banbeer

Banbeer

Landlord. Supporting Member

I have an all in one Brewster Beacon and it works with 19L in first for the mash and then sparge to 29L, boil for recipe time jobs a good un for a 23L brew.

3. Dec 14, 2019 #3

BrewDan

BrewDan

BrewDan

Landlord.

Great thank you

Mash with 19l at temps and times on instructions, sparge with 10l and then boil per instructions

Shall give this a go in the morning and report back once we start drinking it

thanks again

4. Dec 14, 2019 #4

Slid

Slid

Slid

Forum Friend Moderator

Mash water for GF is 3.5L for deadspace, plus 2.7L * number of kilos of grain.

So if grain is 4.5kg, then 2.7*4.5 = 12.15 and then adding 3.5 gets you to 15.65L (spurious accuracy here, of course, anything around 15.5 to 15.75 is "bang on").

Then for the sparge you want to make up the total water used to around 31-32L or so, so that would be another 15 or 16L to sparge, maybe?

Zephyr259 and BrewDan like this.
  5. Dec 15, 2019 #5

Harbey

Harbey

Harbey

Regular.

The other option is to make a new recipe using the GF app/website. You can just input the amount of grain and hops you've got and the software will tell you the rest. This is probably a good idea anyway if you're wanting to use the connect functionality.

You'll want to mash at about 65C for 60 mins, 75C for 10mins, then boil for 60 mins.

Zephyr259 likes this.
  6. Dec 16, 2019 #6

Zephyr259

Zephyr259

Zephyr259

Landlord.

If it's a 23L batch then you'll want 28L pre-boil, GF tends to boil off about 3L per hour and has a 2L dead volume when transferring to the FV. Grain absorption will vary but 0.8 L/kg works for me so sparge volume = 28L - mash vol + (0.8 x kg grain).

Everything else should be much the same with hop timings etc. A good whirlpool (manual seems just as effective as the GF whirlpool/aeration paddle) and 15 min rest after boiling helps things settle out away from the filter helps me transfer smoothly.

northof49 likes this.
  7. Dec 18, 2019 #7

Slid

Slid

Slid

Forum Friend Moderator

I prefer this explanation to the one in my post - it is much neater and easier to understand!

Zephyr259 likes this.
  8. Dec 19, 2019 #8

BrewDan

BrewDan

BrewDan

Landlord.

Thanks all, we did a double brew day to break in the grainfather, which was a lot of fun and they are both fermenting away nicely in the only warm part of the house, under the stairs with an electric heater (no plumbing/heating as we are renovating). Probably perfect for a lager thinking about it!

looking forward to giving them a sample in the new year and getting some more ingredients ordered once we have a useable kitchen so I can get some rolling stock going.

Also a big thanks to one of our forum sponsors brew2bottle for shipping out both of my orders swiftly and well packaged, the second of which was a last minute order of equipment I needed for my weekend brewday as I couldn’t find half the stuff that’s been packed away since we moved... brew2bottle turned this one around in no time at all, Gareth I’ll be back in the new year for more shiny stuff!

cheers

Draft saved Draft deleted