Help needed for first time kegging

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jceg316

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hello, I kegged my first beer last week. I had 25L in the fermenter, put 18L in the keg and bottled the rest, so I thought it would be a good idea to mix in priming sugar into the FV so the entire batch is equally primed in bottled and keg. One week later I cracked open a bottle, it was carbonated, really pleasant but for one week in the bottle still had some green flavours as you can imagine. Yesterday I wanted to see how the keg was getting on so I gently pulled the ring to see if any gas would come out, nothing. I tried to pour some using a party tap but nothing happened. I connected to the gas, set the regulator to 1 bar and could hear the lid or something creak which was weird. I poured my beer, was barely fizzy and there was a lot of yeast in the glass.

Does anyone know why this would happen? I feel like some pressure is needed to hold the lid tightly in place maybe, and if I want to prime to carbonate it's best to pressurise the keg as well.

Hello, I kegged my first beer last week. I had 25L in the fermenter, put 18L in the keg and bottled the rest, so I thought it would be a good idea to mix in priming sugar into the FV so the entire batch is equally primed in bottled and keg. One week later I cracked open a bottle, it was carbonated, really pleasant but for one week in the bottle still had some green flavours as you can imagine. Yesterday I wanted to see how the keg was getting on so I gently pulled the ring to see if any gas would come out, nothing. I tried to pour some using a party tap but nothing happened. I connected to the gas, set the regulator to 1 bar and could hear the lid or something creak which was weird. I poured my beer, was barely fizzy and there was a lot of yeast in the glass.

Does anyone know why this would happen? I feel like some pressure is needed to hold the lid tightly in place maybe, and if I want to prime to carbonate it's best to pressurise the keg as well.
I’ve never keg conditioned any brew with sugar, but always pressurise to abou 30 or 40 psi just to seat the lid and o-ring, it’s left for a day or two then burped down to serving pressure. Same should apply to keg condition too. Make sure that the lid is seated tight before the yeast gets to work on the sugars.

For the lid to seal properly you absolutely need some pressure. I guess you are talking about a corny - no gas - no seal

The creaking suggests to me, it is not sealed properly - no gas

The first pint or two from a corny that has been 2ndly fermented will be trub. The feeder tube is at the bottom where sediment will have settled

I don't 2ndly ferment in a corny just force carb

Thanks for your help, sounds like the issue is no pressure to "seal" it, I know for next time. I'll also try keg condition at some point.

Back