Help needed from Botswana

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carsukbots

Reaction score
Hi Guys

My nane is Jonathan born in Kent (age 58) from Botswana (lived here 11 years) I've just ordered a Speidel braumeister 20l plus from SA.

I've never brewed before but LOVE beer/ale. Can anyone suggest what additional equipment I need and what would be a good starter brew?

My aim is to eventually brew a really good pale ale (Pride) and a good milk stout (Mackeson)

Any/all help gratefully received

Thank you in advance

Welcome to the forum.
Some ideas off the top of my head:
A fermenter, some means of controlling the fermentation temperature, a hydrometer and a sample jar, some bottles, caps and a capper, a little bottler, a coil cooler, some silicon tube to transfer the wort from the BM to the fermenter.
Watch some videos on the Speidel website and then on YouTube. Start with a simple recipe and follow the Braumeister instruction manual for your first few brews.

Hi Guys

My nane is Jonathan born in Kent (age 58) from Botswana (lived here 11 years) I've just ordered a Speidel braumeister 20l plus from SA.

I've never brewed before but LOVE beer/ale. Can anyone suggest what additional equipment I need and what would be a good starter brew?

My aim is to eventually brew a really good pale ale (Pride) and a good milk stout (Mackeson)

Any/all help gratefully received

Thank you in advance

I take by "Pride" you mean Fullers London Pride?
This is a very simple grain bill with ~4kg Pale Malt and 400g Crystal malt for 25L. As it is a malt forward beer, although the published recipes feature a number of different hops, they are in such small quantities that I expect virtually any English style hops will be fine. 40g to bitter and 20g to finish should be OK, whatever you can get in Botswana, really. The Fullers yeast is reputed to be close to Lallemand Danstar English Ale yeast, which might be available?

You can get the recipe for the Fuller's partigyle right from the source :
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/...imperials-neipa-from-the-horses-mouth.642756/

They used to use 5% crystal, they now use 7.2% of a lighter crystal plus a whisper of chocolate malt.

Ron Pattinson has blogged extensively about Mackeson including some historical recipes, the pre-WWII Mackesons look quite appealing : http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/search/label/Mackeson

Lots of commercial homebrew yeasts are claimed to derive from Fuller's but most of them lack any sign of the marmalade character that is typical of Fullers, Imperial A09 Pub is one of the very few exceptions. You might as well harvest the real thing from bottle-fermented beers like 1845 and Lancer/IPA.

But given the temperatures you face, you're better off fermenting with kveik, Norwegian yeast that will happily ferment without off flavours at 25-30C, sometimes more.

Yep - temperature control will be your issue -but you can make great beer of different styles with kveik. Generally start off as simple as possible-you mainly learn from doing- but now I control the temperature better my beer is better.

Hi Jonathan
I would get two fridges and temperature controls, one to use for fermentation (~20 degrees C), and one for a nice cellar temperature. You could get away with one but you won't always have home brew to drink.

Latest posts

Back