Help needed trying to replicate a commercial sour beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyg55

Reaction score
Hello

I am new to brewing and have been following Palmer's "How to Brew" and "Brewing Classic Styles" books. I'd really like to get into brewing sour beers and would like to start by trying to replicate a sour beer that I loved. The description of it is as follows:

"This beer was fermented with our house mixed-culture of lacto, Brett and Sacc strains. After fermentation, we dry-hopped it heavily with El Dorado, Chinook, Mosaic, and Amarillo resulting in a pale sour with waves of citrus, resin, and stone fruit."

I'm seeking any advice on recipes or methods, I'm really starting from scratch but I'd love to give this one a go!

Cheers,
Andy

Last edited:
Honestly Andy, Sours are very difficult to brew and get right to begin with.
The fermentation can often be mixed with other bacteria and yeasts. They're extremely complex and take time to get good, let alone master.
You also need double the amount of equipment to prevent cross contamination and infection if you're making non-sour beers.

I'd suggest starting with something simple, learn the processes and skills of brewing, then look at sours. Understand I'm not trying to put you off from brewing at all, I just don't want you to stop after 1 or 2 brews because they haven't turned out as you wanted.
If you do want to brew a sour, there is Berliner wiesse kits you can get from mangrove jacks that are pre-soured.

Latest posts

Back