Help needed with a very mild mild.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update:
Sugar and a little more yeast added to kick things off on Saturday.
Fermenting well now and has been since the additions were made so I hope all will be well. I added 1.5kg of brewing sugar which might have been a little on the robust side and so the Mild may not be so mild, if you know what I mean. It took the OG up to 1.050 which with the small amount of initial fermentation might give me a 5 to 6 percent beer.
Let's see what happens, if I still have to chuck it then so be it, but nothing ventured.......

Update:
Sugar and a little more yeast added to kick things off on Saturday.
Fermenting well now and has been since the additions were made so I hope all will be well. I added 1.5kg of brewing sugar which might have been a little on the robust side and so the Mild may not be so mild, if you know what I mean. It took the OG up to 1.050 which with the small amount of initial fermentation might give me a 5 to 6 percent beer.
Let's see what happens, if I still have to chuck it then so be it, but nothing ventured.......
Remember your initial brew had an FG of 1020 so if it’s now 1050 you’ve added another 30 points. It’s these 30 points that will ferment out giving you around 3.5% to add to the 0.8% you had.

…unless you’ve added a yeast that’s able to break down the more complex sugars… :oops:

That true, HB. If it drops to 1.020 then I will have a mild beer. If it makes it down to 1.009 which is more often where things end up for me then not so mild. But as it stopped at 1.020 then maybe that will be better.
I just got the feeling it didn't really get started properly last time so we will see. It will probably be done in a week or so, I will drop a line here when it's done.

That true, HB. If it drops to 1.020 then I will have a mild beer. If it makes it down to 1.009 which is more often where things end up for me then not so mild. But as it stopped at 1.020 then maybe that will be better.
I just got the feeling it didn't really get started properly last time so we will see. It will probably be done in a week or so, I will drop a line here when it's done.
I hope it does stop at 1020 or you’ll be right - not so mild!

Funny you should ask.... I keged it today.
It ended up at 4.6% and a quick tast seemed promising, if on the strong side for a mild. Doing it again I would have added slightly less sugar and aimed for 3.5% perhaps. It's had gelatine added although it was not to cloudy when kegged and is now conditioning.
I am hopeful that it is a brew rescued but I will give it some time to carbonate and properly clear and report back in a while.

Funny you should ask.... I keged it today.
It ended up at 4.6% and a quick tast seemed promising, if on the strong side for a mild. Doing it again I would have added slightly less sugar and aimed for 3.5% perhaps. It's had gelatine added although it was not to cloudy when kegged and is now conditioning.
I am hopeful that it is a brew rescued but I will give it some time to carbonate and properly clear and report back in a while.
That’s not too bad, a little higher than I’d expected but that *may* be because you also added more yeast?

Latest posts

Back