Help please choosing a full bodied kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dazlerisepic

Reaction score
I have brewed quite a few wines now but they all seem to turn out looking like Vimto, I like a wine that’s full bodied and deep in colour does anyone know of any kits like this on 4mazon Uk or e6bay for under £30?

Good luck with your quest, I've tried everything I can even the more expensive kits and they all still taste like Vimto.

Beaverdale Vieux Du Roi is the best I've made but is still in the "table wine" category in my book, I've all but given up as trying to replicate a £5/6 bottle of supermarket red doesn't seem achievable - been trying for 3 or 4 years.

Good luck with your quest, I've tried everything I can even the more expensive kits and they all still taste like Vimto.

Beaverdale Vieux Du Roi is the best I've made but is still in the "table wine" category in my book, I've all but given up as trying to replicate a £5/6 bottle of supermarket red doesn't seem achievable - been trying for 3 or 4 years.

They do all seem very weak tasting, have you tried making say 25 bottles instead of 30?

Yes I have but maybe I didn't reduce the volume enough, must try again.

I'm a bit disappointed with my attempts at wine - with beer I've been able to crack it and get better results than many commercial beers, but haven't been able to get close to a decent red wine.

Hi

The cheapest red that I've tried that's ok is the Punch kit from Creative Winemaking @ £30 but it's not full bodied. It's worth paying a bit more if you like a more full bodied wine for a Kenridge Classic kit @ £48

They do all seem very weak tasting, have you tried making say 25 bottles instead of 30?

Be careful if making kits up short as it can make it too acidic.

Yes I have but maybe I didn't reduce the volume enough, must try again.

I'm a bit disappointed with my attempts at wine - with beer I've been able to crack it and get better results than many commercial beers, but haven't been able to get close to a decent red wine.
I am similar my beer has been great but I’ve tried about 5 wine and although drinkable not to the same taste as shop bought, maybe it’s just not possible with wine

Led Zep is right they make a lighter red do most of the cheaper kits which are well drinkable but maybe not be to your taste of a full red. Also the choice of style does help I tend to use Beaverdale and California Connoisseur kits for better reds but you are better with the cabernet style as some of the others are lighter even the shiraz. They are still not what I would class as a £6 plus full bodied supermarket bottle but probably as good as the £4 bottles. If you want better its hands in pocket time as Led Zep has said but the mid range stuff from Beaver and CC is drinkable and less than £1.50 a bottle. I have never tried the kits above these so can not comment but I would think the more you pay the better chance of meeting your aspirations. just like beer it depends on style and what you want and how much you want to throw at it. Maybe just take the lighter wines which are cheap per bottle for what they are as lighter reds and drink in the summer. If you do try one of the dearer kits please report back and let us know the outcome

I'm with the baron on the Beaverdale and CC kits, they're a nice drinking wine for the money. Contrary to what is oft said on here I find these kits benefit greatly from 8-12 month ageing if stored correctly.

Hi all,

Hope that I am okay asking this here as I didn't want to start a new discussion.

I have a BelVino red clearing at the moment and I have the same problem as Dazlerisepic in that it seems a bit pale, and sharp tasting tbh; nice and clear mind.

I would like to make it a bit darker in appearance if possible.

Would it do me any good, at this stage, adding some red grape concentrate, or could I give myself a problem and ruin it?

I use a Vinotainer (not bottles), so I would like to add it when I Vinotainer it :D.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers Paul.

I think a full bodied red under £30 would be the holy grail and from what i have tried not possible. My favourite red is the Beaverdale cabinet shiraz but as Led Zep says this needs aging for at least 6 months in my opinion. CC merlot is actualy darker than the beaverdale when first brewed. Literally just filtered both yesterday after racking and clearing.
Whites and Rose are much more forgiving though

Anyone tried a few elderberries mixed with the RGJ? They impart a very dark colour to a red wine, and give some tannin too.

Latest posts

Back