Help please.... coughing and foaming corny keg

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Wooffindin

Reaction score
Good afternoon everyone,

I hope someone could please give me a bit of help? A few months ago I bought a second hand refurbished corny keg and I've had a few problems with it just dispensing foam.

What happens is that you pull the tap, there's a brief pause before the tap 'coughs' up some foam before settling to pour a very foamy pint.

To give some background, the set-up is simple using my built kegerator with gas coming in to the keg and using simple dispensing taps from keg kingdom. I believe I can discount the wrong beer line and connectors as it works fine with the other kegs (plus I did spend a lot of time balancing the lines versus the serving pressure / CO2 levels I wanted for my desired temperature).

I've also replaced all the seals on the keg so this shouldn't be an issue,

I first thought it was the post valves, but I've swapped them for other valves that work fine with my other kegs, and the problem remains.

The main difference between this keg and the others is that the dip tube for the out post is straight and doesn't get as near to the bottom of the keg in comparison to the other two. In fact the other two sort of sit closely to the middle of the bottom of the keg (there's a bit of a dent in the centre) given that the dip tubes are slightly bent. I can't really see why this would make a difference though?

My only other thought is that it's somehow sucking in air, but I fail to see how. I'm also not sure if this would explain the slight pause and 'foam cough'.

Has anyone had a similar issue or have any recommendations on how to resolve the issue? It's very annoying as it simply ruins the beer I've taken the time and effort to brew.

Many thanks for your help.
Chris

I would look at the beer out dip tube to the out post seal/joint. If this does not seal the it will draw CO2 from the headspace and give the symptoms you have described. Is the dip tube damaged at the top causing it not to seal correctly?

CO2 via a regulator. What's most puzzling is that the other two kegs work fine off the gas and beer lines

Is this keg a little shorter and wider than the other kegs? I would suggest swapping the dip tube with one from the working kegs and see if A) the problem is resolved and B) has the problem now switched to the other keg. This might be tricky if the kegs are of different sizes though.

I would look at the beer out dip tube to the out post seal/joint. If this does not seal the it will draw CO2 from the headspace and give the symptoms you have described. Is the dip tube damaged at the top causing it not to seal correctly?
I think that is the issue as looking at the top of the dip tube you can see a small 'v' cutout. Probably drawing in either CO2 or air. Mmmmm

Attachments

• IMG_0169.jpeg
    IMG_0169.jpeg
    8.1 KB · Views: 66
Is this keg a little shorter and wider than the other kegs? I would suggest swapping the dip tube with one from the working kegs and see if A) the problem is resolved and B) has the problem now switched to the other keg. This might be tricky if the kegs are of different sizes though.
It's a good idea, but so far I've only had the kegs full with beer (it's sad times when I've an empty keg!). I've toyed with the idea but I'm paranoid about infection or oxidation.

Anyway, I've ordered a new dip the from BrewUK as I'm in need of grain and some hops for future brews, plus I've now treated myself to a stainless conical fermenter.... grrr...... athumb..

Thanks to all who helped out

Don't get paranoid about infection and oxidation too much as long as you have a good routine for cleanliness and sterilising also oxidation is not too much of a problem with the majority of beers as long as you are not splashing when transferring and keep the syphon tube under the beer at both ends. Too many people can frighten you with nightmare tales of what you should and shouldn't do and are anal regards process. Just have a robust process and you will be ok

Back