Help please with first all grain setup

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merris999

Reaction score
Arriving this evening is my first supply to make an all grain 1 gal batch. I have made an mash tun, a sparge head (sprinkler thing) and about to make a stand for it all.
I have a 10 liter urn for my hot water supply, but the tap is conical I have tried using a piece of 22mm water pipe cut and heated to mold the shape but I can't get jubilee clip to hold, any ideas how to attach a pipe to conect to the sparge arm? I have mainly 15mm conectors and some copper and plastic speed fit 15mm pipe. Thanks in advance, I will post a picture when the stand is finished. Take care, Mike

For your first batch you really don't need anything fancy or fiddly. A single stockpot and a FV will do for vessels.

Post up some photos so it's possible to see where you're going with the DIY.

Arriving this evening is my first supply to make an all grain 1 gal batch. I have made an mash tun, a sparge head (sprinkler thing) and about to make a stand for it all.
I have a 10 liter urn for my hot water supply, but the tap is conical I have tried using a piece of 22mm water pipe cut and heated to mold the shape but I can't get jubilee clip to hold, any ideas how to attach a pipe to conect to the sparge arm? I have mainly 15mm conectors and some copper and plastic speed fit 15mm pipe. Thanks in advance, I will post a picture when the stand is finished. Take care, Mike
Hi Mike, Appreciate you're trying to do it all right, but you need to prioritise. A sparge head is pretty much down the bottom of the list. If you were doing a 50 litre batch, it might be worth it, but with a one litre batch the grain bed isn;t really going to be merit one. I'd use a jug of warm water and sprinkle it over the grain until you;ve collected enough wort. Ask yourself which is the more important: the DIY or the beer.

Thanks for the replies. I managed to over come the conical tap connection, I found some old aquarium 1/2 " tube and I cut and smoothed a semi circle out of the top of the jubilee clip the diameter of horizontal part of the tap out of the vessel.
As I am on a extremely low budget (I'm my wife's carer) I've been buying bits and pieces as and when to finally be able to do 23/25 batches. At the moment big pans and heat source are my problem, I have an induction hob so struggling to find sufficient large pots suitable or gas boiling ring and cheaper pans or convert a beer keg I found instead of the rocket stove patio heater the wife wanted 😋🤔😋

Agree with those above, try and keep it simple. On my old set up I had a rotating sparge arm, but as good as it looked spinning away. It never really gave enough flow. Now I just carefully pour the water carefully onto the grain bed. Practice getting your technique right on smaller batches then progress to a larger setup when cash allows.

Small batch brewing will allow you to experiment more, and have less wastage if you brew a duffer.
Remember every day will be a learning day 👍

Latest posts

Back