Help please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigsteve2007

Reaction score
Hello, I want to make somthing simular to brothers toffee apple cider. me and all my mates found it amazing. I have heard about people placing things into there cider to give it a extra flavour but how could i do toffee any help or tips would be great thanks.

I get quite different flavours in beer or cider out of different honey, sugars, syrups or even black treacle. Not sure which one to suggest for you if you want toffee, but there's loads of different honeys that might give the flavour you want as a nice background ... or even try a dark sugar, muscovado or similar... it'll probably be trial and error but, cider's dirt cheap to play around with; why not try putting some toffee in it? Serious, it's a sugar source and a flavour source...

Grumpy Jack said:
I get quite different flavours in beer or cider out of different honey, sugars, syrups or even black treacle. Not sure which one to suggest for you if you want toffee, but there's loads of different honeys that might give the flavour you want as a nice background ... or even try a dark sugar, muscovado or similar... it'll probably be trial and error but, cider's dirt cheap to play around with; why not try putting some toffee in it? Serious, it's a sugar source and a flavour source...

I think actual toffe might be a good thing to try but dont really know how i should go about it! should i put it in when its fermenting, in a muslin bag r after fermentation. I am planning on making a small batch first as a tester as you said its all about trial and error. how much do you think i should add for like a 3L batch to start with?

Well in my ginger cider I use about an inch of dried ginger and it's pretty potent, I just chop it up and bung it into the DJ, no muslin or anything, it works fine; but you gotta remember that the flavours you put in will be watered down a lot, so if you want it to have a good strong flavour I'd go for a dark rich toffee and if you think about x amount is right, then add at least half again... :)

Grumpy Jack said:
Well in my ginger cider I use about an inch of dried ginger and it's pretty potent, I just chop it up and bung it into the DJ, no muslin or anything, it works fine; but you gotta remember that the flavours you put in will be watered down a lot, so if you want it to have a good strong flavour I'd go for a dark rich toffee and if you think about x amount is right, then add at least half again... :)

ok, ill give it a try see what happens i will update with a post

Grumpy Jack said:
:thumb: good luck!

Well i would do lol but the gas last night was to much for the bung in the top and its squirted out all over my motorbike and garage! looks like iam starting again lol

Latest posts

Back