Help please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carl hurst

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm a new but keen brewer brewing from kits

Recently started brewing a tinsel toes brew fro. Woodfordes and it stopped brewing after 3 days. We are now on say 5

There were 2 packets of yeast in which I used is this normal ?

Is the brew likely ruined ?

Is there anything can be done to resurrect the brew?
What is likely to have gone wrong

Cheers in advance

Carl

1632594194077.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Could have finished already - have you checked the gravity with a hydrometer?
I started the same kit a couple of days ago, and it's slowed down already....

When you say "stopped brewing" I assume you mean "stopped fermenting". What makes you think this? What temperature is it at? It's probably fine, just leave it alone for another week then check the S.G.

Assuming stopped fermenting by fact no bubbles coming through the release valve.

Other woodfordes I have brewed usually take full 7 to 10 days

Is it usual to be done this quick

Assuming stopped fermenting by fact no bubbles coming through the release valve.

Other woodfordes I have brewed usually take full 7 to 10 days

Is it usual to be done this quick
I very rarely see bubbles ( I use a blow off tube), but my beer always ferments. I just chuck the yeast in, put it away in the fermenting fridge and come back in two weeks. Don't over analyse or stress about what is happening. As long as it doesn't get too warm or too cold then the chances are it will be fine.

As you will read many times on this forum bubbles or lack of is not a true indication of fermentation happening or not.
Against the usual advice of not opening the fermenter if you really think it has stopped take a sample and check the hydrometer reading then report back.
Ps make sure everything is sanitised and do not have the top of the fermenter open any longer than you need it. athumb..

This is where I find an iSpindel invaluable in monitoring the progress of a fermentation without disturbing it.

Quite surprising at how rates and length of the fermentation process vary between brews. Some are all over withing 4-5 days, while others may take twice as long.
On the rare occasion a brew seems to be dragging its heels, I bump up the temp from (usually) 19C to 20C which seems to solve the issue.
However, as @RichardM says, don't overthink it. A hydrometer reading at the start, and two weeks later at the end should confirm a full and finished fermentation.

I've got a chocolate milk stout in brew fridge that went off like a train. It is still fermenting on day 17 so don't worry and after 14 days start checking the gravity

Is your FV totally air tight? I find that buckets with airlocks aren't necessarily that reliable - initial fermentation will be enough to make the airlock bubble, and after that it looks like it's stopped, when it hasn't. (picture of FV?)

Latest posts

Back