Help - Soft Tin

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Falconer

Brewbie
Reaction score
I have just received a Young's Scottish Heavy tin kit. The tin is soft and flexible. Is this acceptable for a home brew tin? I wouldn't accept it with a tin of beans. The tin seems to be whole and has no punctures or rust patches. An advice appreciated.

I have just received a Young's Scottish Heavy tin kit. The tin is soft and flexible. Is this acceptable for a home brew tin? I wouldn't accept it with a tin of beans. The tin seems to be whole and has no punctures or rust patches. An advice appreciated.
Is there anyone who has any experience of this?

No.
But because of the weight they carry and the gauge of the metal, cans can be a little flexible.
If you arent happy then return it to the place you bought it from and ask for an exchange (unless they are all like it).
Or if you bought online, talk to the supplier or Youngs themselves who I have found to be helpful.
I have brewed from cans that are dented and not found a problem
The time to worry is if there is obviously a sign the the can is punctured, or it is distorted due to internal pressure, which applies to all canned foods.

Thanks Terry. I was just wondering if anyone has experience with this and found that the contents were fine. The supplier hasn't got back to me yet. The tin is almost 'squishy' and will flex in quite a bit if pressure is applied. I might try contacting Young's based on your experience. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back