Help - syrupy smoked porter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Last month I brewed the smoked porter from the Greg Hughes book.
I used the all-grain recepy. The whole brewday went as expected. However during the fermentation something strange happend. Slowly the whole batch turned syrupy, like runny honey. After fermentation I bottled as usual, reserving a bit to taste.

The taste is as expected, but the concistency creates a less than pleasant mouthfeel.
I took a sample to my LHBS and asked what they thought happened, only to find they had no answer.:wha:

Can any of you give me advice.

Sounds Ropey.

http://byo.com/hops/item/1264-preventing-beer-slime--reducing-tannins-but-not-flavor-mr-wizard

If not bottled yet you could rescue it to something drinkable by pitching some brettanomyces yeast. They'll break down the slime. This is a common part of wild fermentation and often referred to as the beer being sick by Belgian brewers.

Edit: Ahh! Already bottled. You could decant all bottles to and fv and pitch some brettanomyces and possibly end up with something interesting after a month or two, but probably best not to complicate things and write it off as a lost cause. Better to put the effort into tightening up your cleaning regime, I'm afraid.

Latest posts

Back