HELP WANTED - Sharps Golden Citrus Ale Extract Recipe Pack

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Hyland

Reaction score
Hello,
I completed the first stage of this brew last week and although it initially seemed to have quite a good reaction in the bin, fermentation seemed to be complete after only 3 days.

This didn't seem to be right so I have stirred it (possibly an error) to try and get it going again as this often works with the malt kits I try but so far nothing seems to be happening - there are just bubbles left on the surface.

Does anyone have any thoughts? I don't know if the batch was too cold when I added the yeast?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Ed

3 days could quite easily be enough time for the beer to be fully fermented out, especially if you fermented it relatively warm. My recent milk stout which was fermented at ambient temp of about 23C fermented out in 3-4 days. Have you taken a hydrometer reading? This will tell you if its finished or not

Oh, and welcome to the forum

Good Morning,
Thank you, I have dug out the old hydrometer but it is still some way off ‘bottle’ and there doesn’t seem to be much activity.
And thanks for your good wishes. A friend and I bought the ‘start to finish kit a while ago but then we moved and he kept it.

So have been mostly brewing with the tins of extract and not used this kit before.

Good morning and welcome.
What was the reading on the hydrometer?
The yeast could be insufficient for 23 liters, how old was the kit?

These recipe packs are usually very reliable. I guess it's this one?
https://www.brewuk.co.uk/scga-extract-recipe.html

What temperature did you pitch at and what temperature has it been at during the ferment? Chances are any issues are temp-related, although it could also be the yeast - what was it, how old was it, what gravity has it taken the brew down to?

Good morning and welcome.
What was the reading on the hydrometer?
The yeast could be insufficient for 23 liters, how old was the kit?

Thank you for your message.
Apologies for the delay in replying but we have new child and this is supposed to be the Christening beer!
Hydrometer reading is 1010 today and not far off the 'bottle' line on the Hydrometer.
The kit was new and it came with the yeast in a blue sachet - I think I have used this in the past and it worked fine.
Maybe it will sort itself out..

These recipe packs are usually very reliable. I guess it's this one?
https://www.brewuk.co.uk/scga-extract-recipe.html

What temperature did you pitch at and what temperature has it been at during the ferment? Chances are any issues are temp-related, although it could also be the yeast - what was it, how old was it, what gravity has it taken the brew down to?

Thank you, yes, that is the one.
The extract instructions seems to contain less hot water than I am used to - I didn't take the temperature but I would say it was not as warm as usual.
The yeast is as follows: Safale S-04 Yeast and was included with the pack - it was well within date.
Gravity now 1010.
Thanks again for your response.

Latest posts

Back