Help with angram beer engine problem

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Burnley

Regular.
Reaction score
When I pull a pint I'm getting a jump of the handle, and the beer I'm pouring looks like it is being blown with air.

I think it's sucking air in somewhere, but I can't for the life of me find where, could it be a faulty diaphragm (not sure that's what they're called) inside the cylinder, I have tightened everything and checked everywhere else and cannot find a problem. I do have a demand valve in the system. I'm just pulling beer from a vented corny keg.

Thanks for any replies

Hey, my uneducated guess would be the diaphragm/washer that you refer to.

In my handpull, the main 'washer' that pumped the beer had become bent/deformed. I reversed it and it worked perfectly. But before it was 'juddering' and pulling in some air. Was a simple and free fix - might be worth a look?

It's only really the diaphragm or the demand valve that can be at fault. When you say you have a demand valve, do you mean something like this, fitted externally?
1630409869301.png

If the handle is jumping back, you are creating a vacuum. If you do this to Corny kegs air will be sucked in past the lid/poppet seals (they are not designed to prevent it) should you have vented the keg then sealed it up after.

To prevent a vacuum in the keg fit a gas-in disconnect (plugged with cotton wool rather than a gas pipe) if drinking the beer in a day or two. Fit a CO2 "breather" device if drinking the beer in a week or two. Fit a suitable LPG regulator if drinking the beer over a longer period.

Hi ya, I'm am awaiting the delivery of a 1/2 to 3/8 john guest reducer so I can connect the 3/8 beer line directly without the demand valve.

@peebee no if anything it jumps forward and there is an air bubble blown into the beer.

Current set up when in use is vented corny keg via PRV, 3/8 line to demand valve then 1/2 line to inlet of hand pull

Before the demand valve was delivered I hooked up the hand pull with 1/2 line and drew from a bucket of water, it was perfect.

Will post back when I've installed the reducer (if it fits)

@thegrantickle yes exactly like that

I can confirm that the problem lies with the demand valve, as I've just woke up ( night shift) the post man has been and I have removed the demand valve from the system and it is working perfectly fine with water in a vented corny keg

Please see video for the problem I was having. Do you think faulty demand valve ?

Thanks everyone

Attachments

• Angram Pint Pull.mp4
    39.4 MB

Latest posts

Back