Help with festival new zealand pilsner

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Libigage

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi, my Festival New Zealand Pilsner has been in the FV for 10 days, OG1048. I have just added the hops and taken a reading. It seems to have stopped at 1012 as it was 1012 on Friday and it is very cloudy. It tastes OK though. Is the cloudiness normal? Will the gravity drop anymore now the hops have been added? Instructions say it should be 1008
IMG_20200629_111816.jpg

Yeah....some say you could get "grassy" flavours off them but I've had a couple of times when I've gone about s week and it's been fine. Check it again in a few days.

Hi @Libigage how did this turn out, I bottled mine yesterday...very cloudy, fg was 1009/8 hops had been in for a good week. Did yours clear?

Hi DavieC, I bottled on the 3rd so it's not quite ready, I bottle in brown bottles but always do a couple of clear bottles to check the clarity. 1st picture is one at 20°C and 2nd one is at 10°C. There is some chill haze. I already tried one after 2 weeks in the bottle, it was still quite hoppy and bitter but I liked it. I've just put one in the kitchen fridge which is at about 1°C so I expect it to cloud up a bit more. I'll take a picture of it in the glass and show you.
Hi @Libigage how did this turn out, I bottled mine yesterday...very cloudy, fg was 1009/8 hops had been in for a good week. Did yours clear?
Hi DavieC, I bottled on the 3rd so it's not quite ready, I bottle in brown bottles but always do a couple of clear bottles to check the clarity. 1st picture is one at 20°C and 2nd one is at 10°C. There is some chill haze. I already tried one after 2 weeks in the bottle, it was still quite hoppy and bitter but I liked it. I've just put one in the kitchen fridge which is at about 1°C so I expect it to cloud up a bit more. I'll take a picture of it in the glass and show you.
IMG_20200726_121201.jpg
IMG_20200726_121804.jpg

Thats definitely looking to be coming good, mine looks similar to your sample tube picture, I had a nightmare bottling though, my auto siphon gasket had perished and was sucking air in,it took me a few minutes to work out why I had so many bubbles going into my bottling bucket...hope its ok,but may be oxidized.Glad to see it clearing though, at least mine should look alright:rolleyes:

Thats definitely looking to be coming good, mine looks similar to your sample tube picture, I had a nightmare bottling though, my auto siphon gasket had perished and was sucking air in,it took me a few minutes to work out why I had so many bubbles going into my bottling bucket...hope its ok,but may be oxidized.Glad to see it clearing though, at least mine should look alright:rolleyes:
Hi DavieC
I tried another one tonight, sorry didn't take a picture but it was pretty much the same as before. Big head. When you get thru the head which is still very bitter it is absolutely gorgeous. I'm definitely doing it again. Mind you I put 2 in the fridge as my son liked the last one but he's gone out so I might try his aswell, you snooze you looze. How's yours going

Hi Libigage, I tried one of mine on Saturday, it poured reasonably clear until the last bit of the bottle went in then looked a bit cloudy but not too bad.Taste was quite hoppy, as you say slightly bitter but very drinkable.I think the initial hop bite will soften over a few weeks conditioning and it'll keep getting better.Quite pleased with it.athumb..

Back