Help with getting water into garage

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattrickl06

Regular.
Reaction score
Basically I want to be able to do a full brew from the garage - only problem is there is no water source.

We have a bib tap at the back of the house but the garage is at the front so i was thinking of running a hose to the side of the garage drilling through the wall and putting a bib tap inside the garage - however i have no idea what bits I need so would love some help from all you thrifty DIY engineering types out there :cheers: :thumb:

i plan to run water out to my shed once we get another and i have space to brew in there. i am going to get a t piece that will go behind the outside tap then an adaptor to a run of blue mdpe water pipe from there to the shed then use another adaptor to convert back to copper pipe and brass fittings.

I have a retractable hose pipe and when I brew I extend it from the rear of the house to the garage at the front. Never had a problem

piddledribble said:
I have a retractable hose pipe and when I brew I extend it from the rear of the house to the garage at the front. Never had a problem

By far the easiest solution, saves a lot of time and money.

danb said:
i plan to run water out to my shed once we get another and i have space to brew in there. i am going to get a t piece that will go behind the outside tap then an adaptor to a run of blue mdpe water pipe from there to the shed then use another adaptor to convert back to copper pipe and brass fittings.

What depth are you planning to bury the water pipe?

Are people using food safe hose pipe? I don't think garden hose is good for this, although I don't know how serious a problem it is in practice.

I don't think there is an issue with using a garden hose so long as suitable precautions are taken like running the hose to remove any residual water held in the hose before use. Obviously this is dependent on the hose in question, its condition as past uses. If concerned you could get a Caravan water hose which is basically a better quality garden hose.

For more permanent installations where connections are being plumbed into water supplies on a permanent basis then yes it is not appropriate and also possibly illegal. In the case of the OP I would suggest they need to consider if they will leave the hose "live" and keep the garage tap as the control. I would recommend not doing this as the hose will freeze in winter. It will probably be best to disconnect when not in use.

For the other poster running a supply to a shed they need to ensure they comply with Water Regs and may need to request consent for the works depending on a number of factors. Your water supplier should be able to advise on any requirements. Bear in mind that its not illegal to sell (or purchase) fitting which do not meet the regulations but it is illegal to fit them.

if i bury it i will go to 2 ft depth which is to spec. if not ill run it round the boundary with the armoured cable shed supply.

I work for a water supplier and using a garden hose isn't a great idea, firstly it isn't designed for potable water and will leave a horrendous taste if not flushed through really thoughly, freezing isn't a massive concern I would be more worried about an above ground pipe heating up and becoming a breeding ground for bacteria (22 degrees for legionella). To get palatable safe water you would need to chlorinate and flush before each use. I know it's not always the easiest thing to do but running a 25mm mdpe pipe at a depth of 2'6" is the best way of ensuring the best water quality on will also comply with current water regs

it will be mdpe that i use as get it free and i wouldn't trust the water through a hose pipe

Yeah thats fine its the fittings and how you connect it to your existing system thats just as important. You need to bury the pipe a minium of 750mm below ground.

Freezing isnt a huge issue but it will mean a) you need a new hose b) you wont be able to get water into the garage for any brewing and c) if it thaws you will leak water, possibly into the garage. Not ideal if your on water meter either

Legionelle is a consideration as suggested but its not likely any taste would be imparted to the water from hose if its flushed before hand (hose dependent). It would be in contact for a very short time.

You will find 20mm MDPE easier to work with but either this or 25mm will do the job.
Lots of different fittings available for both ends. Probably easier to change to copper with a plain tail adaptor or use philmac fittings and bib tap although they are bulky.

Will have a closer look at topic later. No lap top at the moment to find part numbers but will help as much as I can.

Hmmm - i think I will revert to brewing in the back garden next to the bib tap - all this talk of legionella and 750mm deep pipes etc has scared me off :cheers:

Thanks for the great advice though

Wouldn't worry too much about legionella as potable supply is chlorinated, it wont stagnate in a service pipe and you are going to boil the water.

The water is chlorinated but it could be sitting for some time (weeks/months) and if the hose is above ground it will be warm so there is some risk particularly in the summer. But as you suggest the boil should deal with any legionella as it killed well before the boiling point of water (around 70oC).

As I suggested earlier, so long as suitable precautions are taken there shouldn't be an issue.

Just another though about usig a hose pipe. If there is a hoses pipe ban you will leave your open to trouble if you use it. Possibly unlikely but still an issue to consider.

Latest posts

Back