Help with kegging please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EveryoneKnowsADave

Reaction score
I've had a bit of a read through the forums but I'm still a bit unclear so wouldn't mind some advice if you can help.

I've received my first kit (an American IPA from maltmillers). I have an empty temperature controlled keezer available with 2 corny kegs & CO2 and also have a fermentation bucket capable of closed transfer. I've read about preparing kegs so I'm happy about sterilising and pressurising.

My first questions are about priming sugar. I didn't think it was used in corny kegs but having read the kit instructions, it appears it should be.

How do I introduce PS to the keg without losing the co2 after the keg has been sterilised?

If I don't use priming sugar is the taste/qjality/abv affected?

My next question is about co2 itself. Is it possible/wise to use the CO2 that is produced during fermentation to pressurise the sanitised corny keg? I think I can rig the connections okay, is it a good thing to do though?

Short answers:
1. It's perfectly okay to force carbonate - it doesn't affect the taste, abv difference will be minimal.
2. Don't do it.

Longer version:
1. With the corny kegs you have the choice to prime with sugar or to force carbonate. You can do either way. If you go for priming, I guess you need to put the sugar in the keg before purging and pressurising it (after sanitation for obvious reasons).

2. You can use the CO2 from the fermentation to purge the keg but not to pressurise it. The kegs relief valves are rated to much higher pressure than the fermentation buckets can hold, so you may end up with the fermentation bucket lid blowing out .

I've had a bit of a read through the forums but I'm still a bit unclear so wouldn't mind some advice if you can help.

I've received my first kit (an American IPA from maltmillers). I have an empty temperature controlled keezer available with 2 corny kegs & CO2 and also have a fermentation bucket capable of closed transfer. I've read about preparing kegs so I'm happy about sterilising and pressurising.

My first questions are about priming sugar. I didn't think it was used in corny kegs but having read the kit instructions, it appears it should be.

How do I introduce PS to the keg without losing the co2 after the keg has been sterilised?

If I don't use priming sugar is the taste/qjality/abv affected?

My next question is about co2 itself. Is it possible/wise to use the CO2 that is produced during fermentation to pressurise the sanitised corny keg? I think I can rig the connections okay, is it a good thing to do though?
Georgie has nailed it for me

Latest posts

Back