Help with OG reading

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephenj

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi all, brewed a Amarillo SMASH with expected OG of 1.048. The new (cheap) refracto which I've never used before confirms this reading, however the hydro which I have always used says it is 1.060.

My question is: does/could sediment in the bottom of the sample jar that the hydro sits in effect the reading? There is quite a bit in there.

For a little info to help: 2kg of extra pale malt was used in 8l of water, mash for 90 mins, sparge 4 litres and topped up to 12l for the boil.

I assume you have correctly calculated your target OG. Have you tested your hydrometer in clean water at the calibration temperature (usually 20*C) . It should read 1.000. And if you spin the hydrometer before allowing it to rest it will get rid of any bubbles or bits clinging to the side and should give a more accurate reading. And I assume the bottom of the hydrometer is free to move and not resting on a layer of solids.

OG calculated in Brewersfriend. Hydro and refract both been calibrated correctly. The sediment was at the bottom and not touching the hydro in any way, about inch clearance at least.

Latest posts

Back