Help with partial mash stout (advice using choc malt & dark lime for the 1st time)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gggsss

Reaction score
Hi All,

As the title suggests I need some guidance on the next brew I‘ve got planned. Basically I’m looking to knock up at 23l partial mash stout. Just need advice on the grain bill/fermentables (as hops, yeast, additions to be decided). The details are as follows :

1 x Tin 1.5kg Dark LME
Mash
2kg Pale malt
1kg Flaked oats
500g Light crystal
500g Chocolate malt
100g Dextrose

(looking about 5%)

Will this be too much dark lme/malts? Have a feeling may be a little too bitter (although I am going to add a decent amount of lactose which may help balance). Hope not as in my head this will be a decent base for a stout.

Please advise people. Much obliged in advance……..

Last edited:
Seems a lot of oats to me, but I've never attempted an outmeal stout myself. The LME is about the same as 2kg of grain, so maybe you want another 3kg of grain in total, of which 400g Crystal and 400g of Black malt might be in line with a sort of US style stout. Using Chocolate instead of Black Malt sounds OK-ish, but you just have to love Chocolate Malt!

How bitter it is depends on the bittering hops, if your Dark LME is bittered (e.g. a stout kit), you won't need so many of these bittering hops.

All in all, Stout is a very "forgiving" style for a relative beginner and you will get away with a lot without it being undrinkable.

Have you purchased the dark LME yet? I find light LME us better then darken yourself. I use 2.5kg Light LME, about 400g of dark grains, 200g crystal, 100g oats, 300g brewers sugar

Thanks for the replies all of you.

LME is actually Morgan’s roasted dark so that was my roasted element.

Gonna chuck in some cold steeped espresso and some vanilla. And for hops decided on nugget and maybe saaz (as they are the ‘earthyist’ I have in the freezer).

As no one has recoiled in horror at the above I’m gonna press on and brew tomorrow…

Thanks again..

Back