Help with recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Morning all
Gonna attempt my first BIAB and have this Doom Bar recipe. Trying to work out the hop additions. Am I right in thinking I add the Chinook and Fuggles at the start of the boil for 60mins and the Northern brewer and Perle at the 45mins for the last 15min ? Or all in at the start of boil ?
9C6C1043-C5D9-4D3F-8C38-5347941C9D97.jpeg

It looks to me that the Chinook and Fuggles go in at the start of the boil for a full 60 minutes. The Northern Brewer and Perle are added during whirlpooling. What seems odd is that it says whirlpool at 175°C. I'm guessing they mean either 75°C or 175°F???

Last edited:
It looks to me that the Chinook and Fuggles go in at the start of the boil for a full 60 minutes. The Northern Brewer and Perle are added during whirlpooling. What seems odd is that it says whirlpool at 175°C. I'm guessing they mean either 75°C or 175°F???
I’m going to be doing it on a stovetop pan so should I add at the 45 min or maybe flame out 🤷‍♂️

What it means is add the first hops at 60 mins/start of boil
The whirlpool additions are at 80c for 60 mins
Which means once you have turned heat off/stopped the boil you wait for the temp or cool it down to 80c then add the further hops at that temp for 60 mins then either remove the hops or cool it down to pitching temp as quickly as you can. I would remove the hops so maybe put them in a hop bag so it is easy to do this

They're really poor instructions.

What I would do, after you have booked for 60 minutes is cool your stockpot a down to 75°C using your usual method (dunk in sink or whatever) then let it stand at that temperature and as the "whirlpool" hops. Give them a good stir into the wort then cover and leave to stand for 20 minutes. Then proceed to cool down to 20 degrees.

You could also be impatient and throw in the NB and Perle at flameout. Where'd you get the kit if you don't mind my asking?

i

What I would do, after you have booked for 60 minutes is cool your stockpot a down to 75°C using your usual method (dunk in sink or whatever) then let it stand at that temperature and as the "whirlpool" hops. Give them a good stir into the wort then cover and leave to stand for 20 minutes. Then proceed to cool down to 20 degrees.
Was gonna use a wort chiller to get temp down. So your saying don’t add at flame out , add when 75’c for about 20mins

Th

This is the instructions on other page but doesn’t really say, think it’s just a standard instructions for all the kits 🤷‍♂️
D3309638-4958-43D8-8DB4-556B5268637C.jpeg

Usually I throw my hops in at flameout and cool quickly to just below 80°C. You could do it either way. However long it takes to get down to 80°C the hops will impart some additional bitterness and lose a little of their aroma. If you want aroma, wait until you're at 80.

I don't consider Doom Bar to be that aromatic, more malty. Probably best to throw hops in at flameout.

At the bottom it says bitterness 76 also, but that is very high for Doombar if that's IBU units, it's probably more like 40IBU with those hops though so probably a typo

Latest posts

Back