Help with solar charger and pump

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I'm hoping someone can help with a bit of advise for a set-up I'd like to install.

I'm thinking of trying to install a pump to take water from my water butt into my shed to supply my cooling coil. I think the total distance to the coil will be 4-5 meters, so I guess a return leg will give me a 10-15m length to pump water. As I'm looking at this from a novice perspective, I'm curious as to what type of pump i'd need. I have seen this on amazon (I think from another post on here) - I think this is on the right lines but it notes a max head of 5-6 m so I think it may not be the one I need: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brewing-Ho...5&sprefix=water+pump+for+brew,aps,101&sr=8-23

I'm also thinking of recirculating my mash water, and I think that pump will be fine for that process.

I'd also like to run the pumps via a 12V battery charged using a solar panel (something like this: 10W 12V Solar Panel Trickle Charger Battery Maintainer Kit Monocrystalline with 10A Solar Charge Controller for RV Marine Boat Off Grid System : Amazon.co.uk: Business, Industry & Science).

If anyone has a similar set-up for pumping water into their brew shed, what pump do you use?

Cheers,
john

Hi john
Not an expert on plumbing but just 1 point. The max head of 5/6m refers to the height the pump can push the water not the distance. If you think central heating the pump that pushes water around the entire house is normally 5/6 m so it will be more than capable of doing your job.
the solar panel is similar to the one I have in my caravan and if all you are running is the pump off the battery then it will be fine. As the pump will take a fair bit of running to drain a battery.

Hi john
Not an expert on plumbing but just 1 point. The max head of 5/6m refers to the height the pump can push the water not the distance. If you think central heating the pump that pushes water around the entire house is normally 5/6 m so it will be more than capable of doing your job.
the solar panel is similar to the one I have in my caravan and if all you are running is the pump off the battery then it will be fine. As the pump will take a fair bit of running to drain a battery.
Thanks for that. I've since seen a normal pond pump which will do the job. 👍

Hi John,
You are going to drain your water butt fairly quickly if you are trying to cool your wort. I imagine you want to be eco friendly when brewing which is a good thing. You are giving yourself a technical task and the benefits are not that clear. To reduce your impact on water usage and cooling power I would suggest watching some Australian homebrew channels. It is common in Australia not to cool the wort with water but to let it cool naturally in a plastic barrel. https://www.youtube.com/c/FastHomebrew/videos

Hi John,
You are going to drain your water butt fairly quickly if you are trying to cool your wort. I imagine you want to be eco friendly when brewing which is a good thing. You are giving yourself a technical task and the benefits are not that clear. To reduce your impact on water usage and cooling power I would suggest watching some Australian homebrew channels. It is common in Australia not to cool the wort with water but to let it cool naturally in a plastic barrel. https://www.youtube.com/c/FastHomebrew/videos
Thanks for the link. Will check that out. At the moment I use butt water to cool my brews by transferring it into a vessel feeding my cooling coil in my shed. This works very well, just a bit of a hassle. Thinking a pump will remove this issue. I'm also planning to pump the water back into the water butt.... probably getting a bit ambitious, and maybe the benefits during the summer may not be worth it. Will keep pondering this idea! Cheers. 👍

I'm currently in the process of installing solar panels on my home. Despite the changes in tariffs, the idea of self-sufficiency and future-proofing is convincing. I'm going for outright purchase to avoid any lease concerns. Investing in panels and a solar battery makes sense, especially with the rising energy prices. The potential to power an air source heating system in the future, and even an EV, aligns with my goal of reducing dependence on the grid.

Hi John,
OMG that's what I do never thought of myself as an Aussie however I am chuffed to the gills with last test match result which isn't a very English feeling either.

Back