Help Yeast and stabilizer added at the same time

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freflow

Reaction score
Hi
Advice needed please, my wife did a beverdale red wine kit today and by accident added the stabilizer instead of the yeast. She then added the yeast after she realized the mistake. Will it be OK or should we do something, ad something else?
We have never had this problem/ mistake or any other problem in 20 years of brewing on and off :doh:

Thanks

I think it will probably be a mix of sod metabisulphate and pot sorbate, if so it will be no good, but if the stabiliser is only pot sorbate it will stall the fermentation but it should get going eventually, you may have to pitch more yeast though.

Assuming that the stabiliser might sink to the bottom of the fermenting vessel I would leave it for a week then rack the must into another FV and add more yeast and nutrient. This is off the top of my head but in desperate times this is what I would try.
Pete.

Good idea Pete, definitely worth a try and if it doesn't work its only cost a bit of yeast and time.

ok thanks i will try that...was just hoping somebody did know of a magic trick lol

Just a quick update
Because it was Easter i could not go to the shops until Tuesday. i normally do my home brew in the study at average 20 degrees, but i decided to move the troubled wine to a warmer place to see if it would help to make the yeast more active, that place averages at 25 degrees and by Monday morning it was going very strong and still is after 6 days.
so fingers crossed and god willing...

Yes we do and use it always, the starting figure for this one was a bit low at 1072

No just warmed it up lol, was going to make a starter after Easter, so was going to the shop to buy yeast.
So told wine to get its act together, put where my boiler is and it just started

Just an update, the wine finished fermenting at .990 and taste as it should be, young but not off.

Well that has surprised me, good to know because its bound to happen to another member at some point. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back