Help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Lloyd

Reaction score
Hi all!
I'm new to the forum and I need some advice from all you experienced brewer's.
I've made a Christmas homebrew (malt kit) and I'm massively peeved off as I've a load of issues.
Primary fermentation complete and the gravity was spot on. Just before a barreled it I realised that I needed to replace the top tap float. So waited an extra day or two then barreled, primed with sugar then left for a week before moving it to a cold shed.
I've 4 days ago I went to run some off to find there was absolutely no pressure! I injected a co2 bulb in to find air gushing straight out of the valve!! So, it's been sat in a warm room just venting constantly. I changed the valve for a new one that uses the co2 bottle to charge the barrel ( the type you screw on the release). So, it's putting gas in, when open the tap it just bubbles froth Which eventually fills half a glass but runs out gas almost immediately.

Do you guys have any suggestions before I throw it all away? It's basically flat and not building any pressure on its own. I've brewed for the last 6 years and never had this .

Thanks all

Tim

Hi all!
I'm new to the forum and I need some advice from all you experienced brewer's.
I've made a Christmas homebrew (malt kit) and I'm massively peeved off as I've a load of issues.
Primary fermentation complete and the gravity was spot on. Just before a barreled it I realised that I needed to replace the top tap float. So waited an extra day or two then barreled, primed with sugar then left for a week before moving it to a cold shed.
I've 4 days ago I went to run some off to find there was absolutely no pressure! I injected a co2 bulb in to find air gushing straight out of the valve!! So, it's been sat in a warm room just venting constantly. I changed the valve for a new one that uses the co2 bottle to charge the barrel ( the type you screw on the release). So, it's putting gas in, when open the tap it just bubbles froth Which eventually fills half a glass but runs out gas almost immediately.

Do you guys have any suggestions before I throw it all away? It's basically flat and not building any pressure on its own. I've brewed for the last 6 years and never had this .

Thanks all

Tim

Just boil up the same amount of priming sugar again, add it to the barrel and leave it in a warm place again for a week or two. It's just eaten through the priming sugar.
It should be fine, no need to throw it just yet!

The beer itself will be fine provided you don't let air get into the PB, especially by bubbling though the beer . If that happens the beer will spoil within a few days. So you need to fix the source of your leak before you reprime or add more CO2. I cant help you with fixing your leak however.
What I can suggest as a remedy for flat beer is to use a syringe (like those that come with children's Calpol) to inject air into the glass of beer, and that works a treat.

Ahh you are awesome!! Thanks !

Funny enough I did chuck 50g in and it foamed up like crazy so there's definitely life.

Thanks again I'll keep fighting!! What I did manage to get out tasted great.

I've solved all the leaks. It was a defective pin valve so switched it out , checked all the o rings again and put more sugar in. Nice shout with the syringe !

Thanks both.

I bought these. https://www.balliihoo.co.uk/balliihoo-barrel-with-injection-valve-pressure-gauge-p-1090.html although the tyre pressure gauge is useless. I top up with 16g bulbs using a bicycle tyre inflator as you can add part of a bulb as required. I test the barrel before use with a car tyre pump (to 10 psi)

upload_2019-12-8_11-46-41.png

Brilliant. I did see these caps online. I've basically been using the same equipment for the last few years (if it's not broke,don't fix it) but I think I'll replace everything after this batch. Updated cap, tap etc.

I don't know. The vendor says they fit Rotokegs and King Kegs but does not mention Wilkos. Why not phone Ballihoo and ask?

Latest posts

Back