Help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steeley

Reaction score
I have completed 5 brews up to now, but have had some issues with 3 of them.

I have been brewing the woodfordes Wherry, 1st and 2nd barrel we’re not to bad, but when I came to brew the third barrel ( which is one with the tap at the bottom)every time I pulled a pint off it was bubbling back into the brew, I finished up throwing the brew away, I have now made a Tom Caxton brew in the same barrel and it’s doing exactly the same thing.

My other barrel which is a king keg top tap barrel, first brew in that was fine, but the second brew as I pulled the first pint off it was all head hardly any beer, then after trying to pull off a couple of pints the pressure went and I had to use a bulb to put some gas in the barrel but after another couple pints it went again and it was all head again, one thing that I did do differently, there was an S30 valve in the cap but I changed it for a barrel pin valve and that’s the only thing I did differently, any help please.

Gas is leaking past the o-ring where the float tube is pushed into the back of the tap. This wastes gas and makes the beer foam. To see if I'm right, tip the barrel forward until the tap is completely submerged in beer and then pour a glass. You can buy new o-rings on eBay; size is 16mm x 2mm. Put a little vaseline on the o-ring. As a stopgap, you could wrap the spigot in thread tape?

Thank
Gas is leaking past the o-ring where the float tube is pushed into the back of the tap. This wastes gas and makes the beer foam. To see if I'm right, tip the barrel forward until the tap is completely submerged in beer and then pour a glass. You can buy new o-rings on eBay; size is 16mm x 2mm. Put a little vaseline on the o-ring. As a stopgap, you could wrap the spigot in thread tape?

Thank you very much tried it and it worked much appreciated, will take cap off and try and remedy it, seeing that your good at this, you wouldn’t know what is causing the problem with my bottom tap barrel

It sounds like you have a leak from somewhere in your PV. When you are drawing off beer you are making an imbalance of pressure, forcing the PV to draw in air through the tap. This bubbling of air has oxydised and tainted your beer.

I would say to break apart all of your seals to the PV, refit and seal them all. You then want to ensure you are priming your beer, by adding the correct amount of sugar (have a look at the linked calculator on the home page).

When dispensing make sure you shut off the tap if your flow slows, or else air will be drawn in. You can then add more gas as needed, or let your beer create some.

Cheers, Nick

It sounds like you have a leak from somewhere in your PV. When you are drawing off beer you are making an imbalance of pressure, forcing the PV to draw in air through the tap. This bubbling of air has oxydised and tainted your beer.

I would say to break apart all of your seals to the PV, refit and seal them all. You then want to ensure you are priming your beer, by adding the correct amount of sugar (have a look at the linked calculator on the home page).

When dispensing make sure you shut off the tap if your flow slows, or else air will be drawn in. You can then add more gas as needed, or let your beer create some.

Cheers, Nick
Cheers Nick, so I take it the beer is no good now,I will break down all the seals I put a new one in the cap last time, I have a sneaky hunch that it’s coming from the tap I didn’t do anything to that last time , just ran steriliser through it, cheers Nick

for the bottom tap Wherry, did you prime with sugar? either secondary fermentation never started or the cap has leaked all the CO2. Take the cap off and lube it and the threads with vaseline. This helps to get the cap tight and it helps the o-ring to settle into place. I suggest adding a Schrader valve and then you can pressure test the barrel with water and air from a car tyre pump. Ballihoo sell replacement caps already fitted with a Schrader valve or you can fit one yourself. Get a stainless-steel Schrader valve from eBay.

https://www.balliihoo.co.uk/barrels...l-cap-with-injection-valve-and-pressure-gauge
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bolt-In-...e-Valves-Stem-With-Dust-Caps-New/283504021431

for the bottom tap Wherry, did you prime with sugar? either secondary fermentation never started or the cap has leaked all the CO2. Take the cap off and lube it and the threads with vaseline. This helps to get the cap tight and it helps the o-ring to settle into place. I suggest adding a Schrader valve and then you can pressure test the barrel with water and air from a car tyre pump. Ballihoo sell replacement caps already fitted with a Schrader valve or you can fit one yourself. Get a stainless-steel Schrader valve from eBay.

https://www.balliihoo.co.uk/barrels...l-cap-with-injection-valve-and-pressure-gauge
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bolt-In-...e-Valves-Stem-With-Dust-Caps-New/283504021431
Cheers for that I will enquire about 1 of those, thanks for your help

When you test the PB you must fill it with water then pump up the pressure. Compressed air can store a lot of energy and you don't want the lid to fly off. Use a tyre pump with a gauge. At about 10psi the rubber relief will start to squeal. Don't go above 12psi.

Latest posts

Back