Herkules and Goldings lager...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewnaldo

Landlord.
Reaction score
Otherwise known as Tennents, but had to get your attention somehow....

Never mind whether or not Tennents is seen as an acceptable recipe to try and clone:laugh8: I have been conversing with the guys at CML earlier, and asked them if they knew any insider info about the tennents recipe. All I know is it uses Herkules hops, presumably for bittering. They said although they didn't know the recipe, they believe its a pretty standard grain bill of 95% pils, 5% Munich or Vienna, but also that it contains some Goldings.

I must admit I was a bit surprised to hear that. What would folks opinions be on the use of Goldings (unsure if they meant Styrain or EKG) ina fairly neutral/clean lager?

I guess the hop bill is what I would need to sort out since I would go for a clean lager yeast, probably CML Hell as I have plenty of that.

Any ideas hop wise?

Tennent's gets a bad rap, in terms of commodity lagers it is one of the better ones. Certainly a step better than something like Carling, which has a lot of high maltose syrup in the recipe

I did a tour there a long time ago, about ten years, and they used lager malt, wheat and maize, high gravity brewed to about 7.5% . I assume there is some darker malt in there too as it's a gold colour rather than straw, so 5% munich would be a good bet. Hops were pellets in boil and iso-extract added at filtration to 20 IBU, so similar to a helles. Warm fermented, two days "lagering" then filtered and diluted to retail strength.

I'd just do a single 50/60 minute addition to 20 IBU.

I doubt they use any sort of goldings in Tennent's Lager, they do brew a number of other beers there as well as their own ales and did when I visited brew keg Bass there, doubt they do now. But I assume any goldings they have in the brewery is for the ales they brew.

Back