HERMS Set-up

Discussion in 'General Home Brew Equipment Discussion' started by Gerryjo, Jun 18, 2019.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

  1. Jun 18, 2019 #1

    Gerryjo

    Gerryjo

    Gerryjo

    Landlord. Supporting Member

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2016
    Messages:
    3,073
    Likes Received:
    933
    Location:
    Derry,Northern Ireland
    So I got a 20l 1500 thermstat controlled tea urn for my birthday from eBay with the intention of using it for my sparge water but as I have been recirculating my mash through my Burco I decided to do a small conversion.
    For father's Day I was given a few beers and a few pounds from my children so I went to Screwfix today and got 10m of 10mm microbore pipe,
    2 * 15mm to 10mm reducers,
    2 * 15mm female straight couplers and
    2 * 15mn shut off valves.
    Had no gaskets so I used an old silicone cake mould that the missus had for baking and they work a treat
    Used a corny keg to form 12 coils and fitted.
    Now testing for leaks whilst at 70 degrees.
    Shall let it sit for an hour before checking temps as I shall have to calibrate before I use it as well as some new hoses.
     

    Attached Files:

    jjsh likes this.
  2. Jun 30, 2019 #2

    Gerryjo

    Gerryjo

    Gerryjo

    Landlord. Supporting Member

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2016
    Messages:
    3,073
    Likes Received:
    933
    Location:
    Derry,Northern Ireland
    Screenshot_20190630_212150_com.ebay.mobile.jpg
    If anyone is interested I've bought a 40000w SCR Voltage regulator from eBay for under £6 and thought I would make an adaptation to the Urn so as to control the temperature a bit more precisely as the simmerstat has an overshoot.
    It regulates the output going to my elements via the simmerstat at present though this can be bypassed.
    As can be seen in the photos I measured up the base ring for the controller,stripped back the power flex and broke L&N to input/output terminals, connected the digital interface to ensure it was working.
    I then measured the interface and proceeded to cut out the section on the base ring.
    Once cut out using a drill,snips and a file as I had no blades for my jigsaw I cut a silicone gasket for behind the display securing with 4*M4 but and bolts.
    All in about two hours work so in the process of testing it out with 40% power set at 65 degrees.
     

    Attached Files:

  3. Jul 1, 2019 #3

    Gerryjo

    Gerryjo

    Gerryjo

    Landlord. Supporting Member

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2016
    Messages:
    3,073
    Likes Received:
    933
    Location:
    Derry,Northern Ireland
    Removed the valves today and replaced with 15mm to 10mm reducers,fitted a rigid plastic pipe which was part of an old bottling Syphon and now recirculating using a 5v mini pump.
    Have also added a vinegar and salt solution to the water so as to clean the copper whilst its recirculating.
     

    Attached Files:

Share This Page