Hernia

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichieBeer

Reaction score
I'll be having surgery in a few week to repair an Inguinal Hernia. While I'm keen to get it sorted I'm a little nervous of the surgery and also concerned how long I'll be "Out of Action" for. I understand driving is an issue as having to do an emergency stop risks a tear.

Just wondering if any other members have had this op, what your experience was like and how long was it before you were back to normal(ish)?

There are two sorts of surgery for an inguinal hernia. The first involves an incision about 90mm long and a patch of mesh. The other involves keyhole surgery. The procedure used will depend on who's operating and what the hospital normally do. They each have their pros and cons. I suggest you try to find out what you are going to get so that you get a better idea of what to expect.
In my case I had a single hernia repaired with the mesh method. I was discharged home on the same day as the op. I was in quite a lot of discomfort for about three weeks. Driving was certainly out for at least two weeks as I recall. And then things started to settle down. After about three months things were better but I was still aware of the procedure especially since I had a hard internal swelling that was sore (n.b. not the original hernia). I suppose it was six months before I hardly noticed it. Some five years or so further on I still get occasional twinges and a little pain from the area but nothing to be concerned about.
Hope this helps.

I too had the mesh operation, probably about 15 + years ago so my recollection may be a little hazy.

Pretty much what terrym said, I didn't have any complications but it took several months to be back to normal, you may feel a pull on the mesh occasionally but nothing to worry about.
I found, as advised, going for short walks and slowly increasing the distance helped aid initial recovery. It was very painful to start off with and you may get some bruising on the ol' chap....too much information??

If you don't have anyone to help you, I'd advise planning ahead for meals/shopping etc.

I hope it goes well, all the best.

I had the mesh op around 7 years ago, with around a 10cm incision. The worst bit is getting out of bed for the first time as it will be a tad painful. I was in and out within 4 hours, op at 9 out by 1 ish after I had eaten something.
Yes, it’s painful, but the initial high intensity pain will subside after a couple of days. They may prescribe you codeine or equivalent, if they do this will bung you up so to speak. So, get yourself some lactulose and senator or equivalent.
Probably the worst part was sleeping, as your body forgets, and sometimes you will move into a position fast and you will wake up with a start.

I was back driving after 2 weeks, then back mountain biking after about 5-6 weeks.

Keep moving, as that will help speed up the repair and healing process.

Thanks for those replies. That's really useful

I know I'm having the "open" surgery with the mesh. The surgery is mid December so I wondering if I would be up and about before Santa comes

Yeah, you will be up and about. Just moving slower than normal.
As long as you can keep your bowels moving loosly, you wull be fine. To be honest that was the worst thing for me.

Latest posts

Back