Hi all , starting a new adventure in making some beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fireworkmaster

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I purchased a full starter setup with pressure barrel ( have read the sticky regarding these and tested ) found a leak on the pin valve , waiting on new gas canisters to test if the fettling fixed it or I need to get a replacement.
Going with a st peters ruby red kit.

Will be looking at some wine and potentially cider making as time goes along , garden produces lots of fruit ;).
Been lurking for a while so figured it was polite to say hi before picking peeps brains.
Have fond memories of making wine/beer with my dad as a nipper.
Elderberry was one I liked , hated picking the gorse flowers though dam spikey plant that.

Welcome to the forum and happy brewing. I have a nice collection of beers in my garage. My family, partners etc are all coming to our home for a BBQ on Saturday. My stash is going to be destroyed 😂. Just as well I have more on the go! Enjoy, it’s a great hobby and you’ll be very popular.

Welcome! This is what the Ruby Red looks like and tastes wonderful!

7BB4C8CA-D885-46C2-9CB2-628977C9E8E9.jpeg

I recommend the 2+2+2 as a minimum! (2 weeks fermenting + 2 weeks carbonating + 2 weeks conditioning)

It may seem a long time but it’s worth every second!
:hat:

Welcome to the forum and happy brewing. I have a nice collection of beers in my garage. My family, partners etc are all coming to our home for a BBQ on Saturday. My stash is going to be destroyed 😂. Just as well I have more on the go! Enjoy, it’s a great hobby and you’ll be very popular.
Limited on storage space unless I utilise the shed , given the temperature swings though that's probably not good ;( hoping to get another pressure barrel next month and get a second kit going , this one has piqued my interest
https://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/mangrove-jacks-brut-ipa-beer-kit.html

Welcome! This is what the Ruby Red looks like and tastes wonderful!

View attachment 69433

I recommend the 2+2+2 as a minimum! (2 weeks fermenting + 2 weeks carbonating + 2 weeks conditioning)

It may seem a long time but it’s worth every second!
Cheers will take the advice , in no hurry , good things come with patience, luck and learning

Welcome Fireworkmaster ,
Interesting username ,are you involved with displays etc ?
Yes I used to be , had a display company and was involved in many bonfire society displays in Sussex , mostly rye & winchelsea .
Unfortunately disability
( non explosive related lol ) has put a stop to me blowing stuff up and creating / organising events.
These days it's watching local show with the kids and enjoying a pint instead of freezing my nutz off in winter with a perpetual smell of sulphur lingering lol

Funny enough i also had a display company up to about three years ago ,but for various reasons sold up ,now i content my self with just lighting something every now and again ,and a few at BFN.

Funny enough i also had a display company up to about three years ago ,but for various reasons sold up ,now i content my self with just lighting something every now and again ,and a few at BFN.
Nice , I do miss it but I know that I would be a danger to myself out their these days.
Used to love hand fireing smaller shows , had a Nighthawk system for the bigger shows, fired a few 16" shells at Rye , dang do they make a thump when they launch. Tube was 24" outside diameter 8ft tall burried 3 ft deep, after firing less than a ft was sticking out the ground , thankfully we wrapped it in a rope net, had to use the backhoe to get it out lmao.

Nice , I do miss it but I know that I would be a danger to myself out their these days.
Used to love hand fireing smaller shows , had a Nighthawk system for the bigger shows, fired a few 16" shells at Rye , dang do they make a thump when they launch. Tube was 24" outside diameter 8ft tall burried 3 ft deep, after firing less than a ft was sticking out the ground , thankfully we wrapped it in a rope net, had to use the backhoe to get it out lmao.
Seems to me there's an urgent job in certain London cellars just waiting for a couple of likely lads like yourselves. Hahahahaha.

Limited on storage space unless I utilise the shed , given the temperature swings though that's probably not good ;( hoping to get another pressure barrel next month and get a second kit going , this one has piqued my interest
https://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/mangrove-jacks-brut-ipa-beer-kit.html
I’ve just completed insulating half the roof of my brew-shed; and it seems to be working!

I drilled four x 2” holes at both ends of the eaves of the shed (to get air-flow), put a stainless steel air-vent on both sides of the holes (to minimise insects getting in) and then stapled “Bubble Foil Insulation” to the fore-and-aft braces in the roof. I also sprayed the cavity with an anti-spider lacquer for long term insect protection.

If the insulation:
  • “Works”, then I can pat myself on the back!
  • “Half Works” then I can do the lower half of the roof.
  • “Messes with the roof”, then I’ve spent +/-£35 that I can strip off and make into something else! Here’s hoping it works!
Depending on the shed, it may be easy to insulate your own and increase the available space!

I’ve just completed insulating half the roof of my brew-shed; and it seems to be working!

I drilled four x 2” holes at both ends of the eaves of the shed (to get air-flow), put a stainless steel air-vent on both sides of the holes (to minimise insects getting in) and then stapled “Bubble Foil Insulation” to the fore-and-aft braces in the roof. I also sprayed the cavity with an anti-spider lacquer for long term insect protection.

If the insulation:
  • “Works”, then I can pat myself on the back!
  • “Half Works” then I can do the lower half of the roof.
  • “Messes with the roof”, then I’ve spent +/-£35 that I can strip off and make into something else! Here’s hoping it works!
Depending on the shed, it may be easy to insulate your own and increase the available space!
My shed is a 8x6 painted black and sheltered on 2 sides , kept other liquids in their in past and being in Devon by coast it's rare we go below zero , even then I think it's stayed above in shed , will look into some insulation to help minimise temp swings , let us know how it goes , cheers

Took some photos yesterday of the insulation - which seems to be working to about 70% of what I want. (I may have to insulate the left hand side and the back wall if it gets any warmer.)

5DE59822-5BD7-4374-9B06-40415594F37D.jpeg
868147D6-D54A-4BE0-AC3F-D73A9550B3E1.jpeg

The back wall faces SW and gets warm in the afternoon, as does the left hand side of the roof.

Enjoy.

Back