Hi all

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacalou

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the site and pretty new to wine making, although I did have a go some 35 years ago when I was young and skint! Now I'm old and not so skint and about to retire after Christmas I want to try my hand at wine making again. I live in Shaw near Oldham and work in Bury, so if there are any members local(ish) that are selling / upgrading their wine making kit I would be interested in buying anything that will start me on my way. I'm thinking of starting with 'whites' so if anyone has any advice or recommendations I'd be very grateful. Thanks all.

Hi, does anyone use 'Trevors home brew shop' in Middleton? Just had a look at their website. They sell all sorts of kits. I could maybe pop in and have a chat before I buy anything.Any advice?

Welcome to the forum.

The amount of kit you need will depend on what you intend to make your wine from if its supermarket juice (more on that later) or kits its fairly minimal if you are going to pick your own fruit you will probably need a bit more.

I don't make wine from picked fruit as i am a lazy sod and it takes too long so my basic kit consists of -

A few glass Demijohns which i got in charity shops (also check out freecycle and the small ads etc) with bungs and airlocks.

Fermenting vessel (23 litre bucket with a lid and hole for an airlock)

Scales for weighing sugar

Long spoon for mixing everything up in the FV.

Funnel that fits into the top of the Demijohns.

Brewing thermometer

Plastic measuring jug.

Milton sterilising tablets (2 to a washing up bowl of water) to sterilise all the stuff that comes in contact with the wine.

A hydrometer and trial jar (takes the guess work out of knowing when fermentation has finished)

There is probably more but i think that covers the basics.

Have a look at this supermarket juice wine how to guide we make this often - http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=49462

Thanks 'Chippy' I think I'll try a kit first then hopefully move on to the supermarket grape juice.

I guess the easiest way in is get a Demijohn, bung, airlock, thermometer, funnel and some steriliser and give it a go pick something at the cheaper end to start with I like the WineBuddy white kits (see my review for the 30 bottle kit - link below) they do a 6 bottle kit as well, let us know how it goes.

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=49224

Latest posts

Back