Hi All

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnthonyDB

Reaction score
Hi all looking forward to trying to make cider.

I've been buying a few bits a 12l press a few demijohns, fermentation bucket.

My parents have got 3 apples trees in there garden which they moved into 2 years this autumn. The amount of wasted apples last year got me thinking maybe I could make use of them and so I'm going to try cider making.

It's all a bit daunting atm.

Hi all looking forward to trying to make cider.

I've been buying a few bits a 12l press a few demijohns, fermentation bucket.

My parents have got 3 apples trees in there garden which they moved into 2 years this autumn. The amount of wasted apples last year got me thinking maybe I could make use of them and so I'm going to try cider making.

It's all a bit daunting atm.
The hardest bit is the scratting- reducing the apples to pulp so you can press the juice out. If you've got one of those machines that reduce garden clippings and branches to shreds, the kind with blades, it'll do a reasonable job. Otherwise you can buy a fruit mill from one of the homebrew suppliers. Believe me, success is nearly all in the pulping. I make cider, too.
We one to the forum. What trees have you got?
Unless they're cider apples then you need to get the best mix of apples possible. Pick them from roadside trees, incorporate crab apples swap with neighbours.
Believe me, three trees worth of, say, golden delicious, won't make the best cider.

The hardest bit is the scratting- reducing the apples to pulp so you can press the juice out. If you've got one of those machines that reduce garden clippings and branches to shreds, the kind with blades, it'll do a reasonable job. Otherwise you can buy a fruit mill from one of the homebrew suppliers. Believe me, success is nearly all in the pulping. I make cider, too.
We one to the forum. What trees have you got?
Unless they're cider apples then you need to get the best mix of apples possible. Pick them from roadside trees, incorporate crab apples swap with neighbours.
Believe me, three trees worth of, say, golden delicious, won't make the best cider.
That's what I'm on the lookout, atm I've just got a food processor. I picked up a brand new press last week for a good price.

We're not sure what apple trees they are the neighbour said it used to be an apple orchard and he mentioned howgate wonder but he wasn't sure.

I'll post some pics hopefully somebody can help identify the apples.

Tbh they just look like cooking apples to me 😂 they made a nice crumble.

hgy94zSPRpln.jpg

kWHbuRQMvYPM.jpg

Probably doesn't help we've no pictures of the apples.

T
Something like this is what you need if you can't run to a decent shredder. I've used one for the last couple of years. You need to pass the pulp through two or three times, but they do work. Food processers are worse than useless. They just can't handle the volume.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Crusher-Po...d=1652904878&sprefix=scratter,aps,205&sr=8-20
Thanks I'm keeping a look out for bits on marketplace and ebay etc. Not a lot tends to come up in Leicester.

Latest posts

Back