Hi everyone!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt1969

Reaction score
I live in Somerset and planted a small cider apple orchard (just 8 trees) 8 years ago.
I've tried making cider for the past 3 years following very basic instructions from a kit supplier but am very much a novice;
- first year, the first batch was good (used cider yeast and sugar in the bottles), the second I tried the natural method and it was a bit vinegary but drinkable
- second year was a disaster, I made vinegar. The Campden tablets were out of date and there was still a thick foam when I added cider yeast (duh!)
- this year is going better though fermentation was very short (36 hours). It tastes OK and is around 1000 OG. Going to let it sit in a cool place for a few weeks to settle then bottle.
One day I'll feel a bit more confident about the process!

If you use pulping and squeezing equipment then there will be enough natural yeast from the apple skins for fermentation; no need to add any. An easier way is to chop the apples and put them in the freezer for a few days. This will kill off any nasties and also pulp the fruit without the trouble of using inadequate tools or hiring in the proper gear. Suggested basic is 4lb apples to 1 gal water and 1 lb sugar. Dissolve the sugar in hot water and allow it to cool, then simply throw the lot into a large fermenter. After a few days remove the fruit bulk and siphon into a carboy, fit the airlock and let the fermentation continue. In fact I have a batch fermenting as I write, made from last years' apples (mainly Bramleys) with the addittion of some red crabs from the garden. It tastes really good even at this early stage. You need to use really bitter apples, those that you can't bear to eat. Eaters will result in a very bland cider.

Latest posts

Back