Hi from Cumbria

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

screpta

Reaction score
Hi All

I'm Mark from a little village called Great Urswick in Cumbria.

I'm definitely new to homebrewing but I hope to develop my skills over time. I've started out with a few kits which I've brewed utilising a brew fridge with the trusty STC1000 and they've been well received, now its time to advance onto something more complex.

Welcome to the forum Mark. acheers.

I am just down the road in Ulverston.

I have added you to the forum map - HERE

Last edited:
I lived for seven years in Skeldon Moor (back road from Urswick to Scales). Ulverston is my favourite town in England. I was married at Coronation Hall.

@Grealish There was an old pub in that area

There was, it was called The Traveller's Rest. If you look in the right light you can still faintly make out the name of the brewery on the back of the building, which is now two cottages, one of which is where I used to live.

There was also a pub on top of the hill before you drop into Gleason I believe it used to be called The Copper Dog and the Queen's a while before that, it's been derelict many years.

The Copper Dog was alive and kicking when I was there, not that I ever went in. We used to go to band night at The Rose and Crown. The Burgoyne used to be really good, too, but I think it's a Gastropub these days.

The Burgoyne has changed hands a few times and extended and has had to move with the times to survive, do you remember back in the day Jeff the landlord in his yellow bow tie shouting "The pie and peas are lovely tonight" every half hour, kind of of a weird experience the first time you visited the place.

I had a chat with a few workmates today about the Travellers and the only place we could think is the junction where you can trun to go to Gleaston or straight on to Stainton (see pictures below) Mrs Tea is sure it used to be the building in picture 1 & 2.

111111.jpg

222222.jpg

3333333333.jpg

Close... in the bottom photo, take the left turn you can see, which will take you towards Urswick. After a couple of hundred yards, bear right rather than stick on the road that will take you to Little Urswick and Great Urswick. Almost immediately on your left you will see Travellers Rest Cottage and Brook Cottage. As I said, in the right light, you can just make out 'Case's' on the back of Traveller's Rest Cottage (unless it's been painted in the last ten years!)

Good perseverance! The landlord at the Burgoyne when I was there was John. He managed to look after his locals and still draw people from further afield for food. As I lived locally but was an 'off comer' I didn't count in either group!

I used to work in the shipyard and use "the lanes" to get home (long before the bypass was open) i cannot believe i have driven past that hundreds of times and didn't know it was a pub i wonder how many locals also don't know.

Ah, well, if I'd known that, I'd have told you it was on the cut through from Ulverston to Barrow. That road was silent except for fifteen minutes in the morning and evening.

Back