Hi From newbie in North London, NW London, Herts

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chilled

Reaction score
Hi
I've been lurking in the background for a while.
I would like to give home brewing a go but tried this many years ago and failed miserably. I only ever used kits and threw it all away after a couple of undrinkable attempts.
2019 I think its time to try again.

If anyone can point me to some useful threads that explain what I need to buy to get going? Bottles, Vats etc. If there are any shops that are recommended in North London, NW London Herts maybe it would be best for me to go and chat and buy?
I've seen a thread on kits from Wilko so I will investigate these as well.
I will obviously go back through the threads but any useful newbie threads highlighted could give me a quicker start. Thank you.. in advance.

Welcome to the forum
Try this to help you along, which also includes a basic shopping list
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/...de-to-brewing-your-own-beer-from-a-kit.57526/
If you want to stay with kits for a while to regain your confidence, you are more likely to get to get a better result from a premium kit, such as one from the Festival or Youngs American ranges, or even a Woodefords Wherry which are sold by Wilko. Premium kits cost more than one can kits but when you add in the extras the differential is not too much. But stay away from cheap 1.5kg one can kits, at least for the time being.
As far as bottles are concerned most glass beer bottles are fine but you will need a capper and caps. Screw cap PET bottles are also OK provided they have held a fizzy drink. So there is, initially, no real need to buy bottles used second hand bottles are perfectly adequate to get you going provided they are in good condition.
Finally when you have a few successful brews under your belt you can then decide what you want to do long term, whether to stay with kits or move on to grain brewing, but until then I suggest you keep your expenditure to a sensible level so that you don't end up with a lot of unwanted expensive kit if you do sadly decide that homebrewing is not for you after all.

Hello and welcome to the forum. I used to live in Stanmore and there are no homebrew shops around as far as I know unfortunately. I bought all my stuff online.

Thanks to all for the information. I will dig in and check some of it out. I might need to find a Wilco to get my first kit!

Latest posts

Back