Hi from Nottingham.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

venkman100

Reaction score
Hi all. I have home brewed for many years. Just had a break for about 5 years. Decided to start again. Been making beer kits in the past, this time going for full mash. Recently retired so now I have more time. Had a look at the recipe pages and some look a little advanced for me at the moment. Does anyone have a good starter recipe, I do quite like the current American IPA'S. But any nice IPA recipe would be very welcome. Thanks again. I look forward to enjoying this forum...

Welcome to the forum. :thumba:
Moving to the recipe forum as it'll get more views there.

Last edited:
Hi @venkman100 welcome to the forum.

What equipment are you using, what size volume?

You could make a good IPA just using pale malt and then a couple of hops, one for bittering and one for flavouring / aroma. You could even just use one hop if you wanted to but I prefer to choose a cheaper one for bittering such as magnum or admiral, and then something else to provide the IPA style taste and smell.

Hi, I am going to order a 35l Robobrew. They seem to generally get a good write-up.
So looking at 5 gallon runs as I have kingkeg barrels. Sorry I did not post sizes earlier. Can you advise me of quantities and flavouring hop type? Thank you

Hi and welcome, you could start by doing a smash, single malt and single hop, loads of vids on you tube, or you could use 2 hops I now use target for bittering on the advice of members on here who know more than me and then a hop of your choice for aroma, I retired 3 years ago at 63 and needed a hobby after giving motorcycling up and brewing beer has been a good choice, there some very knowledgeable folks on here, hope you enjoy it and happy brewing acheers.

Hi, I am going to order a 35l Robobrew. They seem to generally get a good write-up.
So looking at 5 gallon runs as I have kingkeg barrels. Sorry I did not post sizes earlier. Can you advise me of quantities and flavouring hop type? Thank you

Sure, although I use metric measurements. Had the first bottle of this last night, after it has had 2 weeks carbing and it is my best beer yet, really fruity with a nice smooth bitterness.

ABV 5.5%
IBU 65

4.1 kg pale malt (the .1 was left in the bag so chucked it in - planned to use 4.0kg)
Mashed this for an hour in 14 litres of water at 65 degrees
Dunk sparged in 14 litres at 75 degrees for 15 minutes
Brought to boil and added 40g Admiral (13.9% AA)
Boiled for 1 hour
Cooled the wort to 80 and added 50g Styrian Wolf and 10g Cascade
Transferred to fermentation bucket
Cooled to 23ish degrees and pitched CML Pia yeast
Five days before bottling I dry hopped with 50g Styrian Wolf and 20g Styrian Cardinal

I did add a teaspoon of gypsum to the mash water but this is dependent on the water you use. I have only recently started doing this and made plenty of good beer without it. I also added about 200g of rolled oats but left it out of the above to keep the recipe simple. You can just use one hop at the end and for dry hopping.

I’ve seen different ratios of water for the mash and sparging but 14 / 14 makes it nice and easy for me to remember.

Sure, although I use metric measurements. Had the first bottle of this last night, after it has had 2 weeks carbing and it is my best beer yet, really fruity with a nice smooth bitterness.

ABV 5.5%
IBU 65

4.1 kg pale malt (the .1 was left in the bag so chucked it in - planned to use 4.0kg)
Mashed this for an hour in 14 litres of water at 65 degrees
Dunk sparged in 14 litres at 75 degrees for 15 minutes
Brought to boil and added 40g Admiral (13.9% AA)
Boiled for 1 hour
Cooled the wort to 80 and added 50g Styrian Wolf and 10g Cascade
Transferred to fermentation bucket
Cooled to 23ish degrees and pitched CML Pia yeast
Five days before bottling I dry hopped with 50g Styrian Wolf and 20g Styrian Cardinal

I did add a teaspoon of gypsum to the mash water but this is dependent on the water you use. I have only recently started doing this and made plenty of good beer without it. I also added about 200g of rolled oats but left it out of the above to keep the recipe simple. You can just use one hop at the end and for dry hopping.

I’ve seen different ratios of water for the mash and sparging but 14 / 14 makes it nice and easy for me to remember.
Thank you, looks good for me to start with. I will let you know how I get on...

Hi and welcome, you could start by doing a smash, single malt and single hop, loads of vids on you tube, or you could use 2 hops I now use target for bittering on the advice of members on here who know more than me and then a hop of your choice for aroma, I retired 3 years ago at 63 and needed a hobby after giving motorcycling up and brewing beer has been a good choice, there some very knowledgeable folks on here, hope you enjoy it and happy brewing acheers.
Sorry to hear you had to give the bike.Good to get out and about on them when you have a chance.

Thanks for the advice. I am 62, finished work 2 years ago, luckily I am still motorcycling. 18 months ago, got myself nearly new Z900, the sport one. Loving it.. Hope to start brewing in two or three weeksThanks again

Thanks for the advice. I am 62, finished work 2 years ago, luckily I am still motorcycling. 18 months ago, got myself nearly new Z900, the sport one. Loving it.. Hope to start brewing in two or three weeksThanks again
To many idiots on the roads these days for me so I thought after 40 odd years I would give it up though I do miss it now and again acheers.

Hi, and welcome to the forum, its been a hub of good advise, knowledge and light hearted banter for me. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Anyway, i am new to brewing and just down the road to you in Leicestershire, i recenelty bought the Robbobrew and thoroughly impressed with it.
My first brew was a Tribute clone from MaltMiller and it was very easy with great results.

Theres a nice little Home Brew Shop in Long Eaton called "Cheers", the owner is very helpful and will generally offer you a beer whilst you shop!

Hi Rich. Thanks for that mate. I actually went in a few weeks ago and met him. And yes, he was a nice chap. At that point I had not gone the mashing route. So need to call in to see him again. Keep me informed about the Robobrew. Picking mine up Sat morning from Angelhomebrew near Chesterfield... At the Nottingham beer festival at the moment with my son and his wife and they love Tribute. So I might have a go if you recommend it to start with

Nice! let me know if you need any help with the Robobrew, its all fairly self explanatory and plenty of great videos on Youtube, but happy to help!

had 4 or 5 pints of my tribute last night whilst brewing an Elvis Juice clone and its great, so would def recommend.

Picked it up yesterday. Only got into the box today. I am very pleased with the build quality. It seems very substantial. Cannot wait to get going.

Latest posts

Back