Hi from Scotland

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CraigBB

Reaction score
Hi fellow brewers,

Started AG BIAB brewing about 12 years ago, a very dodgy setup but the beer was good (mostly).
Move to Scotland about 4 years ago from Sydney and have started brewing again!

Just finished putting together a 3V herms electric brewery setup.
Forgot how much fun brewing is, so much to learn, plenty of awesome information on the forum too.

Cheers,
Craig

Welcome Craig! Where are you based in Scotland? Plenty of Scottish brewers on here. We're mostly friendly.

Another warm welcome from Scotland (and yes it is actually warm and sunny today). It sounds like you've quite a good setup there with your equipment. What sort of volumes are you brewing at the moment?

Thanks guys, nice to join after lurking for a couple of months, glad there are a few friendly brewers up this way.

I have been enjoying a nice brew in the garden this afternoon! Amazing weather up here today. I'm in Lasswade, just south of Edinburgh.

I have setup to brew 1 to 2 corny kegs batches, should be able to do 3 if I find something I really like.

Welcome!!
I'm in the Highlands. Which means the biggest strength is cold water in the summer for cooling and never having to worry about temperatures going above 20ºC for the ferment :laugh8:

Hi Craig. I’m in Dalkeith, I’m a kit brewer after starting during lockdown but I’m aiming to progress to grain sooner rather than later.

Hello fellow Midlothian. It's definitely worth the effort switching to AG, it can be done with very little investment too. I went from kit to BIAB with a pot, LPG outdoor cooker, and a couple of meters of swiss voile fabric, never bothered trying to chill the wort, just put the lid on and pitch the yeast the next day, never had an infection in 8 years. It's even easier to make smaller batches on the stove top. You can make great beer with BIAB - plenty of people do, it's about getting your process right and not worry to much about the equipment.

Cheers,
Craig

Welcome Craig,

I'm in Alloa myself, I went from kits to BIAB to 3V to an all in one for convenience but didn't ever get rid of any equipment along the way ... :)

Welcome Craig,

I'm in Alloa myself, I went from kits to BIAB to 3V to an all in one for convenience but didn't ever get rid of any equipment along the way ... :)

Hey cheeseyfeet,

The 3V's take up a fair bit of room in the garage... don't know anyone that actually uses their garage for cars either!

I enjoy the 7 hr brew days, but was thinking I could get a false bottom for the kettle (it has to sit above the element), then I could get some BIAB brews done too, for when I'm in a hurry. Does the 'all in one' do mash recirculation?

Back