Hi from the Isle of Anglesey in North Wales

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martin Anglesey

Reaction score
Hi All,

Found you friendly folks while looking for the answer to a problem with my homemade sloe wine - I'll search for answers first and then post a proper query.
My wife and I moved to the glorious Isle of Anglesey just over 18 months ago, from north Staffordshire, and are absolutely loving living near the coast. Never thought we would!
Now I'm working from home and no longer commuting three hours a day, I have time to think of what to do with the extra time. I also have a garage for the first time, so have space to store stuff. Ah! Luxury!
My father was a home wine-maker, so I have memories of delicious brews, including the parsnip wine he once brewed which was literally a most effective paint-brush cleaner, but hideous as a drink.
Having spotted bushes full of sloes last year, I could not resist; so having bought enough kit for that and beer, I have been happily brewing and consuming ever since.
My beer has started from kits, but they have been really delicious, and I have shelves of awesome porters and stouts which it is increasingly difficult to find commercially since the fashion for hoppy beer took off.
Hoping to pick up some tips here as well as share experiences - and who knows, if there are any brewers nearby, a tasting session or two perhaps.
Martin

Back in 79 I used to live in Caernarfon with view from my window across the Menai Straight. I have happy memories of those days even though the beer was awful and, on a Sunday, we had to get a bus to the next county to get a pint of even worse beer as all the pubs in Gwynedd were shut. I supposed that's all changed for the better.
Don't know if there's any decent beer on the Island, but Mŵs Piws of Porthmadog knock out a cracking pint of proper beer.

Back in 79 I used to live in Caernarfon with view from my window across the Menai Straight. I have happy memories of those days even though the beer was awful and, on a Sunday, we had to get a bus to the next county to get a pint of even worse beer as all the pubs in Gwynedd were shut. I supposed that's all changed for the better.
Don't know if there's any decent beer on the Island, but Mŵs Piws of Porthmadog knock out a cracking pint of proper beer.
The beer is slightly better now, although there doesn't appear to be much of a market for real ales. Menai Bridge has a couple of great pubs with well stocked pumps, the Black Boy in Caernarfon is now another goodie. Here on the island though we have one particular gem of a brewery - the Druid Brewery. It really is a micro-brewery, but knocks out some stunning bottled beers of the rich, dark, fruity and potent variety. It is that which got me dabbling in home brewing again. I'm working through kits at the moment (notably the Festival range) but who knows, we may get into brewing from scratch at some point.
If I'm allowed to post a plug on this forum... here is the best of Anglesey offering: http://www.druidbrewery.co.uk/

Just had a look. It looks like a home brew set up so there's hope for us all.
It is - a micro-brewery indeed. It's a husband and wife team who have a quite tiny cottage. The kitchen is half typical kitchen and half completely spotless brewery. The living room is half living room, half beer stock room! You've only got to look at the ABVs on their beer list to know they mean business. My personal favourite is the Renaissance Porter at 6.5%.

Back